the12volt.com spacer
icon

light bar switch box problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mechanic18 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2016 at 3:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechanic18
Hey guys. Just made an account to see if anybody in here would know what to do in my situation.
I have a 6 gang switch box mounted on the headliner of my jeep. Only 4 switches are used right now. Fused, no relays, operating front, L side, R side, and rear light bars.
Now, i picked up a wireless remote system (short range like 200 meter). It operates just like a switch, 1 wire in, 1 wire out. (It actually has 4 buttons, 8 wires, so 4 switches in total)
How would i go about wiring it so that while im inside the vehicle, each individual switch works its respective light, but while im outside of the vehicle and use the remote (i.e. flip another switch external of said switchbox) all 4 lights turn on? I'm just having a doozy of a time wrapping my head around this idea. Relays? External power source? I dunno. Pretty new to wiring so forgive my ignorance.
Thanks for any and all advice.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2016 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Yes, relays. I'm not sure what the output of your wireless system (maybe 200 mA). To be safe, you can use the output to trigger a relay, and use the relays output to trigger 4 more relays. Yes, this is a lot of relays, but it will isolate the outputs, keeping the functionality of your inside switches the same.
Assuming your system provides a negative trigger, connect this to terminal 85 of a standard 5 pin relay, with fused power to terminal 86. Connect 30 to fused power as well. Connect terminal 87 to terminals 86 of your remaining relays and ground terminals 85. Fused power goes to terminals 30 and 87 goes out to the lights.
If your system provides a positive trigger, connect it to terminal 86 of your first relay and ground 85. The rest remains the same.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mechanic18 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2016 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechanic18
Sweet! I am having another switch box made today to house all of the relays and remote switch box. I will let you know how it goes. And because i honestly don't know, whats the difference between a 4 pin and 5 pin relay?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
4-pin relays will work the same. They just don't have the middle pin (87a), which you wouldn't need in your case. Terminals 85 and 86 go to the coil (electromagnet). Terminals 30, 87 and 87a are are the contacts controlled by the coil. Terminal 30 is the common terminal. When the coil is not energized, contacts 30 and 87a are closed. When the coil is energized, contact 30 moves away (opens) from 87a and closes with contact 87.
If you scroll to the top of the page and click "Relays", you can find diagrams for a ton of different applications.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic