the12volt.com spacer
icon

Custom Headlight Build

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
matt_s 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote matt_s
Hey guys I have a 2012 Ram 2500 with the quad beam headlights. I am adding projectors into the lows and Rigids into the Highs. I'm wanting to add Demon eye Leds behind the Projectors.
I have no problem wiring the HIDs and Rigids into the truck to make them work that's the easy part. Where my question sits is how do I wire up my Demon eyes to stay during the day and turn off when the low beams turn on. I have turned the normal dodge Day time running light off with my H&S mini maxx. What I'm having trouble with is how do I wire up my relays? I know I need to wire one up that triggers the Demon eyes to turn on when the key turns on, But how do i wire up the relay that cuts the power to the demon eye when the low beam head light turns on? Is this even possible? I cant see why it isn't...
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2016 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I don't know what "Demon Eyes" are. I assume they are LED's.
Connect the (+) side of the LED to your B+ source. IGN, Switch, Etc.
Connect the (-) side of the LED to the B+ wire for the Low Beams.
When the low beams are OFF, the LED will ground through the bulb, ballast, etc. When the Low beams are on, the GROUND side of the LED will be at B+ potential, and will go OFF.
I have never done this, and am not familiar with the headlight wiring on 2012 Dodges, and I'm not familiar with the equipment you are installing. I know this scheme would work with older trucks with incandescent bulbs. It should work with your deal too. But test it and try it out before you finalize the install.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2016 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I like Dave's idea, but it won't work with HID's. If you don't have LED's for the parking lights, though, that may be an option. Then the LED's will be off whenever you turn on the parking lights.
If you'd rather use low beams, then you need a relay. Connect terminal terminal 86 to the positive headlight lead, and 85 to ground. Then cut one of the leads to the LED's (either power or ground- doesn't matter which). One side goes to 87a, the other to 30.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
matt_s 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote matt_s
does this sound like it will work??
"Use a 5 pin relay.
Pin 85 goes to ground
Pin 86 tap into the low beam wire
Pin 87A goes to the demon eye
Pin 30 This wire needs to be hot only when the key is in the run position.
Pin 87A is a constant on terminal when the relay is at rest. When you turn the low beams on it will turn the relay on. That makes pin 87 hot. 87A is turned off."
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2016 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
You got it. That will work.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic