the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to starter kill Suburban and Camry with PTS?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dosoft 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2016 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dosoft
Hi everyone!
Is there anything to be interrupted in the cabin to safely prevent the 2015 and up Chevy Suburban, Cadillac Escalade or GMC Yukon with Push-to-start ignition system of starting the vehicle? I know about the relay in the engine compartment, but don't like the idea of running wires there. And it's not about one vehicle, but hundreds.
Same question I have about Camry Hybrid with PTS ign. And I know about the option of interrupting the brake, but am looking for another safe solution, since this is easy to tamper.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I've done hundreds of Prius via the brake method, no problem.
No idea about the others, they all vary it's really a question of get that meter out!
Mercedes hybrid, kill the constant, RED / purple to the ignition switch.
dosoft 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dosoft
Thank you, howie, for the replay! All Toyota PTS use the same ignition system, so no difference which model you have, you can use the brake method. There are 2 big issues with it, however. First one is - you can start any Toyota without even using/stepping on the brake, but let's not discuss that here, since Google can easily find it and our job will become a nightmare. Second - one can easily access the interruption point fast and easy.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I don't know chit about the Prius, so no help with those.
I was asked by a friend to disable OnStar in his CTS-V because he didn't want his vehicle transmitting certain data like speed and location, or anything else, without his knowing about what and when it was doing it. I removed the box, and it's 4 connectors. It wouldn't start. I jumpered the two CanBuss pairs together, it started and I was done. This was a PTS. I have no idea if all GM PTS are the same... Just an idea. Point is it wouldn't start with the CanBuss data chain interrupted. I have no idea if this would set codes or have other consequences if used as an anti-theft deterrent.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Funny they're stealing loads of high end cars, BMW, Range Rover, Focus ST here in the UK by emulating the prox keys then going into the OBD to start the vehicle.
I put a switch across one of the can wires there. The vehicle will still start but the OBD can't be spoofed into starting the car.
The owner simply switches the connection back on when the vehicle goes in for servicing.
BTW I cut the Prius brake feed back at the BCM after the fuse, not at the brake switch.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Certain GM's have had adaptive cruise control since 2006. This system has the ability to use the ABS system to apply the brakes. How hard would it be for the OEM's to write code that if the normal starting sequence is followed, the security system locks the vehicle brakes?
I forget if it was on this, or another forum where the OP was considering effective anti-theft measures, and I suggested "leave a big dog in it". That is really the only "effective" measure I've thought of other than keep it out of sight, and difficult to access. Like in my garage, behind my gate, with my German Shepard on duty between the gate and the garage.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Dave my late Alpha Male Shepherd fulfilled exactly the same function!
dosoft 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dosoft
The brake line from the brake switch to the BCM is easily accessible only by the brake switch (green wire on 2015 and up). To reach it from the BCM side you need to unscrew a few nuts and bolts to release the BCM and disconnect a few connectors from it and from the black module next to it. That's time consuming and randomly disconnecting modules may cause a lot of headache.
About the Mercedes ignition switch, you suggest to cut the power to it: If the car is running or the IGN is on, disconnecting the power to the switch causes the vehicle to shut down immediately, which could be extremely dangerous in case of failure of the device you're using or it's connections. Not to mention how many error messages wil pop-up on the dash. Same thing if someone sends the SK signal by mistake or something (GPS or smartphone app). You need to at least add another relay, preventing the main SK relay to engage when the vehicle IGN is on. And I've done it on all Chrysler models, many GM models but haven't tried it yet on Toyota. I have pictures of how to connect the 2 relas if someone is interested.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
A) On UK cars the glovebox comes out in 2 seconds and there's the BCM with the two central long plugs for constant and ignition above brake feed black bottom pin centre.
B) The Mercedes trick was used via a GPS on STATIC vehicles I wouldn't dream of cutting an ignition wire.
The same trick on pre=PTS Mercedes is to cut the WHITE/ red at the switch, with that cut you can't turn the smart key.
dosoft 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dosoft
The new cars use multiple CAN lines. Some are fast, some are on a different protocol then the others in the same car. Usually one is for the engine management, another one for the body electronics (windows, door locks, mirrors, sunroof,seats,steering wheel etc.) separate one for the infotainment and the restraint system with its own. Interrupting one of the lines, while the others are in operation is very likely to confuse the car seriously, if not to shut it down immediately. So I don’t recommend that at all. But thank you for sharing your experience!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic