the12volt.com spacer
icon

2006 Saturn Ion LED headlights glitching

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xxm0rt 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2016 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xxm0rt
I bought a 2007 saturn ion used about 3 years ago, and I didn't realize at the time, but it had a lot of after market work put into it. Luckily, everything worked fine until about a year ago, when the headlights started being a bit wonky. Sometimes one wouldn't turn on but if I turned the lights on and off again it would switch on and be fine for the whole drive so it didn't bother me much.. especially since I'm poor as hell and can't really afford to have work done on it.
Then yesterday my left headlight wouldn't turn on at all, so I swung by my dads and we both got to work taking it apart to put a new bulb in and it turns out whoever owned this car before me put in LED headlights. I couldn't afford to replace the bulb that wasn't working but I still had high beams, so we put the headlights back together (in the process somehow making it so the right bulb didn't work either) and figured I'd just have to be a jerk and drive with high beams until I got the money to get a replacement (I work a graveyard shift, so unfortunately 90% of my driving is at night)
Tonight when I went to work my low beams still didn't work, so I drove with my highbeams on the whole way as planned (20 minute drive) but when I got to work, parked, and turned my highbeams off, both my lowbeams suddenly worked again. I turned my lights off and on again, and then only my right one worked.. I turned the car off, went and worked my shift, and when I tried again before driving home only the highbeams worked. I started driving and sporadically switched back to lowbeams but they didn't work, until about 10 minutes into my drive when they were suddenly perfect again. Drove the rest of the way home with them without a problem.
Now I dont know a thing about LED lights (or cars really for that matter...I'm a computer person, not a car person...) and I don't know if this means its a faulty wiring issue, or if this is how these bulbs go when they start to die.. I couldn't tell you the brand but searching on amazon they look a lot like the cree ones. I know they're 9700 as far as part number goes and if they're not cree, my best guess is maybe they're these? http://tinyurl.com/zzkff2t
The bulbs had "Sah ohok" written on them, but nothing comes up if I google that so I don't know if its important.
So can anyone explain to me what the most likely issue is here and what my best way to go about fixing it might be? Like I said, I am pretty much beyond poor so I'm really hoping this isn't a "you need to have your lights rewired situation" because if it is, I'll be the jerk driving with my highbeams on for the rest of the life of this car..
Anyways, any help would be appreciated.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2016 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
This is a safety hazard and needs to be addressed yesterday.
First, I'd get rid of those LED bulbs and put in the proper halogen bulbs. Are you saying you couldn't afford a pair of 9007 bulbs? They might cost $20 at the parts store, and probably less at Wal-Mart.
Do this first and report back. Let us know if that takes care of the problem. If not we'll go from there. While LED bulbs have come a long way, and they arguably have their place, headlights are not where they belong.
While you are not to blame for installing them initially, you endanger not only yourself, but everyone else on the road by continuing to drive your vehicle in this condition.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
xxm0rt 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2016 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xxm0rt
I'm not sure why you're saying these are so dangerous. When they work, they're just as bright as regular headlights and aren't dangerously bright to oncoming traffic. I drive by plenty of police officers and never once was pulled over for any kind of light violation. We had the lights looked at by one of the guys at autozone and all he said was I had some led lights and that they were more expensive than usual lights and there are plenty of conversion kits online for LED headlights. I could afford a regular light bulb replacement (bought one to switch out when I thought it was just a regular burnt out bulb), but the issue is my car has been wired for LED lights now and I was told I'd have to rewire it if I wanted to go back to simple halogens and thats something I'm pretty sure I wont be able to afford to do.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2016 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying it's not safe to drive with malfunctioning headlights, and is actually illegal to drive with only your high beams when you have oncoming traffic facing you.
The link you posted was to an LED replacement headlight bulb (9007), so I don't see why you would need to rewire anything- the plug should be exactly the same.
I personally would not trust one of these LED bulbs in a headlight application. You say they are plenty bright (I'll take your word for it) when they decide to work, but if they only work part time, this is a problem. I have seen these LED bulbs with intermittent failures exactly like this on multiple occasions and that is why I feel the way I do about them.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic