the12volt.com spacer
icon

Skar Audio SPX65C Components Crossover Settings

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mohpro 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2016 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mohpro
I have the Skar Audio SPX65C 6.5" component speakers. There are 3 switches on the crossovers and I do not understand them. Is there anyone that can explain each of the 3 switches to me, what they mean, what their functions are, what each setting would do? My car audio terminology is not very advanced so simple terms would be best, if possible. Here is a pic of the crossover then 3 pics of the different switches. any help is appreciated. In case you have trouble viewing th epics, here is a description of the 3 switches:
"TW" - settings are 0, -3db, -6db
"Mid" - settings are high, flat
Unlabeled switch - settings are 18db, 12db
Here are the pics....
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2016 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
The first two switches will help adjust the tweeter and midrange speakers' volume levels in relation to one another. Since every vehicle has different acoustics, your tweeters may sound too loud to you in relation to the larger midrange speakers. I would just install them first, and give them a listen playing different types of music at different volume levels and see what you think. Then you can adjust/tweak the sound from there to your liking. If, for example, you already have the tweeters set to -6dB, and they still seem a little too loud, you might move the mid switch from flat to high.
The third switch is the cutoff slope for the crossovers. I usually go for the steeper cutoff slope (the higher number), which in your case would be 18 dB (decibels).
I have no idea what the cutoff frequency is for this setup, but let's use 3 kHz (3,000 hertz) as an example. You don't want bass going to your tweeters because they are not designed to play lower frequencies and this can damage them, so the engineers have decided to start blocking them at this cutoff frequency. (The same applies to midrange speakers- they don't play as well at the high frequencies because that's not what they were designed to play.) Now they don't stop completely at this frequency, but the amount of lower frequencies that reach the tweeter is reduced at a rate of decibels per octave. One octave lower would be half the frequency. One octave higher would be twice the frequency.
So, using our tweeters, at 1.5 kHz (1,500 Hz), the bass would be 18 dB (decibels) quieter (in theory). Then at 750 Hz, it would be 18 dB (decibels) less again.
To help put this in perspective, if you double the power, you increase the volume by 3 dB (which is barely noticeable to our ears). If you apply ten times the power, you increase the volume by 10 dB (twice the volume).
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic