the12volt.com spacer
icon

dodge charger 2009 horn

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
f29966 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2016 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote f29966
i'm installing a viper model 5706v alarm and remote start on a dodge charger 2009 , and i have problem with the horn honk , the horn wire in the car is DK. GREEN/ ORANGE (+) locate at TIPM , i use a relay to convert the horn output BROWN / BLACK (-) to (+) , the relay wire like this : 85&30 to 12 volt , 87 to (+) horn wire in the car , 86 to (-) viper horn output , when the alarm is trigger the horn only make normal sound for 2 or 3 second and then it sound like click click , sound like does not have enough power , i don't know if it is the horn no good or i need to wire the relay in a different way? another thing is the viper horn output wire flash very fast , maybe the power send to the car horn not enough long to make a normal horn sound? please help me to solve this problem , thanks
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2016 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Two of the wire listings suggest that you want to do a 5-wire relay setup.  Can't hurt to try.  Here is the wiring :

Relay Pin 85 to Viper (-) Horn Output
Relay Pin 86 and 87 to +12V through 10 Amp fuse
Relay Pin 87a to TIPM side of cut GREEN/ Orange (+) Horn wire
Relay Pin 30 to vehicle side of cut GREEN/ Orange (+) Horn wire

Just to be on the safe side and protect the Viper with its' pulsing horn output, I would put a 1N4007 diode across the relay

pins 85 to 86 with the diodes band towards Pin 86 (+).

Soldering is fun!
f29966 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2016 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote f29966
i did the same as you said and the horn sound very good , but there another problem came out , when i press the horn button on the steering wheel , it's not sound normal anymore , it's sound very low.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2016 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

When the relay is not energized ( no 5706 Horn output signal at Relay Pin 85 ), the relay circuit should have no impact on the truck and the normal horn operation, it just passes the signal through the relay on Pin 87a to Pin 30.  There should be minimal signal degradation going through those relay pins. 

That being said, you did cut the horn wire and the horn signal now passes through the relay.  Did you solder all your connections?  I would check the Pin 87a connections very closely.  When the relay is energized, the horns get their power from Pin 87 to Pin 30 and that works / sounds OK.  Other than that you could try another relay in case there is some major resistance internally at the Pin 87a to Pin 30 contacts.

Another test would be to reconnect that cut horn wire ( bypassing the relay ) and see if the horn sounds OK then.  If it's still abnormal, you might have damaged something when you didn't have the relay wired in 5-wire mode.

Soldering is fun!
f29966 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2016 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote f29966
i use another relay and everything is working fine now , thank you so much for your help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic