the12volt.com spacer
icon

people using welding wire for amp wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2016 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote still_walkin
I been on some threads and some fb pages and some guys are using welding wire as amp wire . I never heard of this but I've been away from tje car stereo world for some time .so is this a new thing or what. I alwas been a stinger wire guy. thoughts
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2016 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
people started using welding cable because it's solid copper and you can get large sizes without the huge name brand mark up, but its not as flexible either.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2016 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote still_walkin
gotcha so other than cost not worth it. or is there more positives to it
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2016 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Wire is wire.
Support the12volt.com
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2016 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote still_walkin
not when it comes to cheap wire
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2016 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
My experience with welding cable is that IT IS as flexible as most autosound specific power cable ... roughly 1000 strands for 1/0AWG cable. And if you happen to have a welding supply store in your area, typically less expensive.
Mark
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2016 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote forbidden
Nothing wrong with a good quality welding cable at all.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 5215
Yeah brother, feel confident if you choose to use welding cable. It's more strictly governed by the AWG (American Wire Gauge) standards so you are getting a true wire size. So many car audio brands label as 0 awg but its more like 4 awg. Nothing wrong with welding cable and like others have said it's generally more reasonably priced.
series vii 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2016 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote series vii
In the early days, welding cable was all you could find. Both the audio guys and the Ham radio folks were using the large flexible stuff. Circuit breakers, crimps, wire etc you would go see Ron over at Wrangler Power products, down the street was PPI, a couple of miles from Orion and not far was Fosgate soon to be RF. Boat supply houses sometimes had stuff but choices were limited. Phoenix Gold, Stinger and Streetwires were just starting to show up.
Amps would come with wiring kits then. I can't remember if it was Fosgate, Orion or both would ship Carol Super Vu-tron welding cable for anything 4 AWG or larger and was usually orange. I have 1/0Awg Vu-Tron from the early 80's still in use today. No oxidation, still flexible and the jacket is as tough as ever.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic