the12volt.com spacer
icon

two light strips under driver/passenger dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
handyman wannab 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2016 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote handyman wannab
installs plus wrote:
i know my post is kinda late if this is not done call me i can walk you through this or any other install. Im MECP through NC and can help you with any install question... Names ricky btw over 17 years exp
Ricky, my name is Charles, just registered on this site. I would like to wire two light strips under the driver/passenger dash. I am clueless about where, to what, and how. My plan is to wire them so that they only light when the headlights are switched on. Any help would be appreciated
Handyman Wannabe
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2016 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Tell us what kind of vehicle.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
handyman wannab 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2016 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote handyman wannab
Sorry! I did give the vehicle on another site. I have a 2015 Kia Rio. Manual everything. I have found that when I bridge contacts on one end of the harness I can turn on the parking lights, and on the other end I can turn on the left and right blinkers. However, that still doesn't tell me which wire turns on the headlights. The only tool I have is a thing with two probes and a light. I don't even know how to use it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I was able to look at some schematics for the 2013 Rio but I am completely illiterate.
Handyman Wannabe
geepherder 
Posted: March 01, 2016 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Well, I don't have any experience with that vehicle, but I recommend picking up a cheap digital multimeter. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they have some for even less than $10.
Once you have a meter, watch some online tutorials on how to use it. It will be much safer for your vehicle's computerized electronics than a test light.
handyman wannab 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2016 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote handyman wannab
Thanks for the info. No Harbor Freight in my neck of the woods (Minnesota) but I should be able to find an auto parts store or hardware store or 50. Do you think it's alright to splice them in or do I need a resistor? Or...?
Handyman Wannabe
geepherder 
Posted: March 02, 2016 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I just assumed they were 12 volt light strips since you didn't say. Are they not?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic