the12volt.com spacer
icon

Keyless entry, 1993 Ford Explorer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rheinrich76 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rheinrich76
I bought a docooler keyless entry system from Amazon and am having serious difficulty understand their included instructions. I have a 1993 Ford Explorer with power locks. The positive reviews say how easy set up is but I'm having serious trouble even getting starting. If somebody could help me with an eli5 explanation that would be great. Thank you!
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
First you need to determine whether your Explorer has type B locks or type C locks.
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx
See the note at the bottom of the above link.
You should use a DMM to test and verify the lock and unlock wires in the drivers kick panel.
Can you post a photo of the wiring diagram for the keyless entry system.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
rheinrich76 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rheinrich76
Keyless entry, 1993 Ford Explorer -- posted image.
This is what I got from Docooler. Please help!
smokeman1 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
1.Vehicles with KEYLESS ENTRY are TYPE B, Vehicles without KEYLESS ENTRY are TYPE C.
2. Vehicles with the KEY PAD on the Door are considered to have KEYLESS ENTRY
Which of the above best describe your Explorer? Does your Explorer have a KEY PAD on the drivers door?
rheinrich76 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rheinrich76
I would say type C. There are no keypads on the doors and when I bought the car second hand they said nothing about keyless entry.
smokeman1 
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
Use the link to the download section for Door locks Systems or Door locks DF 1041. In it is an explanation of Type C door Locks. You will probably need a M451 Relay or two SPDT Relays.
I've only done one Type C door lock connection and it was about 4 years ago.
It is a bit tricky, so you will have to fine the wires in the drivers kick panel for testing.
Not sure which example on your wiring sheet would be Type C.
Maybe another forum member could chime in.
rheinrich76 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rheinrich76
I don't see a link to the download section. I'm still very new to this website. Are you talking about the main menu on top of the webpage? I'll look for it. I was hoping when you said C you were referencing the C underneath fig 3 negative trigger. Yes, I hope I can get all the help I can. I assume I can find these inexpensive? relays at radio shack? My mechanic said he could do it but he was quoting me a possible three hour job @ $90 per hour. I was hoping it was just cut these wires, connect them to the wires on my module and away I go. Will I need a degree in electrical engineering to do this?
rheinrich76 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rheinrich76
Let me clarify, if need be, that it is a remote keyless entry system from Docooler I bought off of amazon for $15.
smokeman1 
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/downloads.asp?srch=all&term=1041
No need to clarify, I understand what you have, I'm just not real familiar with the Type C locking system your Explorer has.
If I was taking a GUESS, I would say "D" on your diagram. But you need to test and verify
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2016 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Looks like the unit has built in door lock relays.  No need for a 451M module.  Here is the wiring if you have Type C door

locks :

Basically the Orange, White and Yellow wires are for lock.  The Yellow wire is Pin 87.  The White wire is Pin 30 and the

Orange wire is Pin 87a.  So for the lock circuit in a Type C vehicle its' :
Yellow to +12V constant through 15 Amp fuse
White to the Motor side of the vehicles Lock wire
Orange to the Switch side of the vehicles Lock wire
The Explorers Lock wire is Pink / YELLOW and found in the DKP.

For the unlock circuit, you will use the same setup with the three wires with the Black tracer as follows :

Yellow/Black to +12V constant (joined with the Yellow wire)
WHITE/ Black to the Motor side of the vehicles Unlock wire
ORANGE / Black to the Switch side of the vehicles Unlock wire
The Explorers Unlock wire is Pink/Light Green and found in the DKP.

In the diagram below, the Red wire is the units Yellow & Yellow/Black wires.  The Purple wires are the Orange & ORANGE / Black

wires.  The Dark Blue wires are the White and WHITE/ Black wires.  The Light Blue and Green wires are internal ( as are the relays ).

Keyless entry, 1993 Ford Explorer -- posted image.

You definitely want to test these vehicle lock wires to ensure that it is Type C.  The easy way is to find the correct pair of

wires and use a Digital Multi Meter as follows :  DMM set to 20V DC.  Red test lead to suspect wire.  Black test lead to
solid frame ground.  DMM should read 0V.  Press and hold the door lock ( or unlock ) button, DMM should read +12V.
Additional in can be found in the DEI Tech Tip 1041 Mr. Smoke mentioned.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic