the12volt.com spacer
icon

2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide FM Recpetion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
I have a customer with a 2014 Harley Street Glide that he had a stereo installed at another shop. They installed 4 speeakers and a 4-channel amp. The amp was mounted behind the ferring to protect it from the elements. By doing so, they placed the amp above the radio. They customer is now complaining that the radio get no local FM stations.
The customer is not going back to the other shop because he has had nothing but problems with them since. I've been doing a little research and think that the radio and the amp are creating either EMI or RFI interferece with each other, in turn, affecting thr FM tuner.
With that being said and leaving the amp in its current location, I was thinking about using a thin sheet of copper to divide the amp and the radio to eliminate any interference between but I've never tried this before. The problematic area is suppose to be blocked by a conductive or magnetic material from what I have read. I assume thats why headunits were copper chassied on high end head units.
Any suggestions or experience with this would be great.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Have you verified the antenna is correctly plugged into the back of the radio? It's unlikely the amplifier is causing what you described.
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide FM Recpetion -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
I though about that after I finished my last post. I havent pulled the ferring off yet. I've been busy fiberglassing some speaker pods on the bike and the customer approached me with this issue. I was just trying to get a heads up before I dove in and was wondering if anyone else had experience with this.
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
I'd check the obvious first. Chances are it's as simple as that.
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide FM Recpetion -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
I'm gonna do that but for me gaining more knowledge in the EMI/RFI area have you ever dealt with the shielding technique I purposed.
the12volt 
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Simple test before you take anything apart (no need to have the engine running)... if you can get some FM stations while the radio is on but no AM at all, then it's most likely an antenna issue (probably unplugged). If you get AM and no FM, then there is an issue with the radio itself.
the12volt 
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
I'm betting EMI/RFI is not the issue with this one. No, I have never had an issue with mounting an amplifier above a radio causing a decrease in FM reception, and I've done it several times when necessary.
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
I may sound like a idiot asking this question and sorry to bug you but, what is the theory behind the FM/AM test. I'm not arguing just interested. Why would you only get FM if the antenna is unplugged and why would you get AM and no FM is the radio tuner bad? Wouldn't you recieve no signal at all if the tuner was bad?
the12volt 
Posted: March 22, 2016 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
In metro areas, most tuners will receive some FM channels without an antenna, but absolutely no AM channels without an antenna. If you are receiving AM channels, then you know the antenna is connected. Next time you have a radio on the bench or one on your lap while testing before you mount it, give it a try. This obviously does not apply if you're in the middle of nowhere.
the12volt 
Posted: March 22, 2016 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
BTW, if you want to know more, you should study the differences between frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic