the12volt.com spacer
icon

2013 gmc savana 6 speaker

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crazynuk 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2016 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crazynuk
Hi all.
My first post. I hope its a good one...lol.
I did look and could not find an answer to this specific question.
I have a 2013 gmc savana passenger and it has the 6 speaker system. The factory deck, (not navigation) I assume is only 4 channel. The front channel goes to the door speakers, but the rears have 2 sets. There are 6x9 or 5x8 in the rear doors, plus 4x6 in the sound bar above the rear doors. As far as I can tell, ( I have not pulled anything apart yet), all the factory speakers are 8 ohm. So does that mean the rear sets are in parallel, and the deck sees 4 ohms on the rear and 8 ohms on the front? It seems strange that the resistance would be different front to back.
Also since I plan to change all the speakers to 4 ohm aftermarket, I am worried about how to connect the rears and not overload the deck.
Here is my plan.
I have an AudioControl LC2i to connect to the front speaker leads to give me a clean signal. To that will go the amp for the front door speakers and the amp for the sub.
The rear speakers I can do one of the following.
....just run all 4 off the deck power and fade them down a bit.
....run an in line 2 channel amp off the spear leads to the rear doors and just run the 4x6 in the sound bar off the deck.
What I don't know is what the deck will see. If I run a 2 channel amp in the parallel circuit for the rear doors, does the deck see the amp as a current draw, or just the speakers in the sound bar.
Would I even hear the 4x6's over the rear doors? Do I need a 4 channel amp?
I don't want to have to buy a ton more equipment, but also don't want to damage my factory head unit.
Any help or advice would be most welcome.
Thanks very much.
Corey.
crazynuk 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2016 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crazynuk
64 views.....man c'mon. anything?   2013 gmc savana 6 speaker -- posted image.
crazynuk 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2016 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crazynuk
are bumps allowed?
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Not all views are by members. Many could be from visitors or search engine spiders.
Bumps are allowed if you have something to add to your post.
I haven't worked on the audio system in that vehicle, so I can't tell you how the rear speakers are wired. You will have to measure the nominal impedance for them at the head unit, then go from there as far as connecting to the head unit or an amplifier. It may be necessary to run wires from all but one pair to achieve a safe nominal impedance for your head unit or amplifier.
2013 gmc savana 6 speaker -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
crazynuk 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crazynuk
Thanks for the reply, and will do on the bumping.
I get the van and can start working on it in May. Until then i just trying to research things.
Thanks.
Corey.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
The rear speakers are wired in parallel to the factory radio. If you replace the rears with 4 ohm ones, you will need to rewire them in series to give the radio a load it can handle. The other option is to use a small 2 channel amp on one set and the radio on the other. The radio can handle the load. The amp should have speaker level inputs, otherwise you will need a low level convertor to switch it to RCA. Other option is to change the radio to an aftermarket unit and upgrades are easier. You will get more options and better sound. You will need a radio replacement module to retain door chimes and other factory options.
sparky
crazynuk 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crazynuk
Thanks sparky.
I mentioned putting an amp on one set of the rears with line inputs.....If i do that, will the head unit be okay feeding just the 4x6 mids?
If it was your van would you bother with the amp or just do the series wiring. I won't be able to hear them much over the fronts anyway...
Can you series wire 2 sets of different speakers like that? deck to 4x6 to 6x9 to deck?
Thanks.
Corey.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2016 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
It depends on if you use the van to carry passengers. You can wire any two sets of speakers in series. Make sure you get the polarity correct so there is no cancellation. The speakers are really only for rear fill and you won't notice them much unless they aren't working. The 4x6 won't givr any bass but are up high so you will hear them over if there is anything in the back. The rear door ones won't be heard that much unless there is nothing behind the front seats. The factory speakers will sound a little better if given a little more power. You could always wire them in series and put a small amp on them. I personally wouldn't spend much money replacing them. You won't get a good return on your investment. Spend the money on the front ones. I would suggest upgrading them to component speakers. You can mount the tweeter higher in the door to improve sound and staging. Add a sub for the low end. You can use the factory deck, but don't expect great results. I would suggest changing the radio to one with more options, upgradability and more power. Personal taste and budget should be your deciding factors.
sparky
crazynuk 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2016 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crazynuk
Thanks for the advice.
I do already have a sub setup that I will transfer to this new van.
I have 20 year old MB Quart 6 1/2 component speakers I was going to transfer as well. I mean they still sound great after all this time.
I have some energy 5 1/4 for the rear doors, (i will make a plate for them) and the 4x6 are actually a 3 1/2 round 2 way on a 4x6 plate.
I figure is will just add some mid and brighten up the rear.
I have thought about changing the factory deck, but I like the one in my wife's HHR, and of course so much is integrated into them these day I don't wnat to have to spend $$ on top of $$$ for an upgrade.
I am hoping the LCi2 plus my amp will do the trick.
I like your idea of wiring the rears in series, as it save me having to wire in another amp. I plan on fading down the rear channel a bit anyway.....If I crank the fronts I should have to strain to hear anything from the rear....its just fill like you said......biggest interior volume out there unless you drive a school bus....lol

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic