the12volt.com spacer
icon

finishing head unit install on 08 Expedition

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
armyvet3272011 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2016 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote armyvet3272011
Hello everyone!
First off, I'm new to the forum so I want to thank you all for your responses in advance.
Okay...I just purchased a 2008 Ford Expedition EL XLT. It had the OEM head unit (6 disc changer), the OEM rear DVD entertainment unit (the long one with the DVD player built in, and an OEM satellite radio antenna.
I bought a Pioneer AVH-2800bs head unit, and a Metra license plate mounted backup camera.
PROBLEMS:
1. I have no sound when I play a DVD from the rear OEM unit.
2. I have no video or input from the rear-view camera.
3. My rear backup lights stay on all the time now while the vehicle is running.
4. The main head unit DVD function shows no picture. It only says the 'Warning must be in park blah blah' message and says 'press okay'...but the okay button is greyed out.
I have installed numerous stereos and systems, but this one threw me for a loop! I ended up having to tap an accessory fuse to use for the accessory wire (red) because the harness did not provide one. I took the parking brake wire (light green) and tied it into the ground (black) like I've done to every other unit to bypass the parking break, and only used the larger factory harness because there was no place to use the other one (smaller 16 pin). I also had to buy a new Sirius tuner because the OEM antenna didn't have the one connection wire for the new head unit.
Sorry this post was so long, but I wanted to make sure and get all my info on here. Thanks for any help!!!
V/r
Andy McKee
US Army RET
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 16, 2016 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Get a Metra 70-5520AV to get sound from your OEM DVD into the the AV input of the 2800.
Connect the light green wire of the 2800 to the parking brake wire of the vehicle so you can get the screen to display video. You have to engage the parking brake in order for the OK button to be accessed.
You had to have connected a switched power source to the reverse light wire. Did you connect anything to the Purple wire with the white stripe of the 2800? If so, what did you connect to it?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic