the12volt.com spacer
icon

Hello, I'm new and the Mach 460

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tiny85 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tiny85
Hello, I have a few questions but first off I have a 99 Mustang Cobra that has the mach 460 system in it. Like most everyone else the only speakers that work in the car are the tweeters. I've replaced the factory head unit. I'm ready now the rip the mach stuff out witvh brings me to my first question. Can I reuse the factory wires coming from my head unit to run right to my aftermarket speakers so I don't have to run new wires? If so can some one show me a diagram of this? I'd really hate to run all new wires if I didn't have to. Thanks in advance and Ill keep ever one updated on my progress.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2016 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
In the Mach system the speaker wires from the OEM radio drives the tweeters. If you already installed an aftermarket radio and the tweeters are playing, you can use those wires to drive your aftermarket speakers. You need to run those wires directly to the aftermarket speakers. Then parallel the tweeter from there. The OEM radio had a crossover in it. You will need to insert a 10 to 22 micro farad 100 volt non polarized capacitor in series with the positive wire going between the aftermarket speaker and the tweeter.
tiny85 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tiny85
You wouldn't happen to know we're the crossover is by Chance? I took an old speaker I had and tryed to just like the wires into the plug to find my preamp wires but it didn't work it just blower the speaker. I know there's an amp behide the radio the suppose to drive the tweeters right? Thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2016 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
It is an active crossover, not passive. It is built into the radio. It only sends upper frequencies to the speaker. It is not a capacitor/inductor type crossover. You will have to install the capacitor in line with the tweeters if you plan to use them.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic