the12volt.com spacer
icon

DEI 300v, selecting a DEI replacement.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2016 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Hi. I have an 'old' DEI 300v (basic alarm and RKE) in one of my personal vehicles. I'm having trouble with it failing to respond to the remote for no apparent reason. I'm tired of fussing with it, I need the RKE; I use it 15+ times a day. I want to replace it with a new unit. I've thought about RKE only like the 211, but I kind of like the entry protection of the basic alarm. I lost a stereo once on a Saturday afternoon, I was working only 50 feet away. It was probably a good thing for the guy I DIDN'T hear an alarm.
I'm having trouble figuring out what DEI model to replace it with. This is a 91 S-10 pick-up, with a meticulous install of the current system. The less I have to molest with the replacement, the happier I will be. Here are my objectives which are flexible:
    3 or 4 button, non-LCD, 1-way, durable remote fob.
    Uses the DEI 12-pin main harness. RED / wht on one end, orange GWA on the other. I don't care about the 3-pin blue/green lock wiring being compatible, I can deal with that.
    Inexpensive. <$75 preferred.
As I said, I'm flexible with these wishes. Any suggestions on what Model to search for are appreciated. Thanks.
EDIT / ADD: Looks like the 3105v is a direct replacement, including the main harness. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2016 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
davep. wrote:
Hi. I have an 'old' DEI 300v (basic alarm and RKE) in one of my personal vehicles. I'm having trouble figuring out what DEI model to replace it with.
I replaced it today with a 3100L. Results are mixed. This unit does not have some features that I liked in the old 300 / 350 Viper.
    3 or 4 button, non-LCD, 1-way, durable remote fob.
         Check. It's a 3-button, and looks durable.
    Uses the DEI 12-pin main harness. RED / wht on one end, orange GWA on the other.
         Check. Plugged right in.
    Inexpensive. <$75 preferred.
         Check. Was $28 with free shipping from Amazon.
It can not program siren output to horn-honk output. Only siren. Disappointment. I'll have to figure out how to make the constant output "pulse".
It does not 2nd Unlock. But Aux3 is on the same wire as 2nd unlock. So I'll use Aux3 for the passenger door which takes two hands to push two buttons. Meh.
It does not have domelight=ON with Ignition=OFF. I'll miss this.
I'll probably keep looking for another unit that has the features the replacement doesn't that I like. It was only $28, I can afford to toss it in the trash and get what I really want. I wish there was a way to easily research and compare the features and details of the numerous DEI offerings.
Or that individuals with experience would take a moment to try to help a guy that has tried to help others on here about 400 times. This request for help wasn't my first post. I was disappointed at the lack of response and interest. Something has happened to this place. I enjoy coming in here and seeing problems get solved and sorted. But lately apathy has been rampant. Sad.
Oh well. At least the RKE in my old truck works reliably again. Thanks for reading.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2016 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I've been out of the industry for over a decade, but I may be able to help with your constant-to-pulsed issue. Try a standard 12v flasher from the local parts store.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
geepherder wrote:
I've been out of the industry for over a decade, but I may be able to help with your constant-to-pulsed issue. Try a standard 12v flasher from the local parts store.
Thank You.
I wonder if an Electronic Flasher like the EP27 would work to pulse the relay without having to add load to it like a conventional flasher would?
This will be very difficult to accomplish because of the way I did this install. Not looking forward to it. Plus the EP27 is a $20 add-on to a $28 system. Oh well.
The way the Aviatal programs is a chore compared to Viper too. I still don't have the programming straightened out. I don't do it in my yard because I don't want to annoy the neighbors with all the horn honks. I drive to the golf course parking lot and annoy the golfers on the nearby greens instead :grin:. Takes effort to go there to program.
Thanks again for the reply.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2016 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I used to put a small piezo buzzer (from radioshack) on the siren output when programming so it wouldn't be too loud.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2016 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I had a light bulb on it yesterday when I initially programmed it. I once removed the HRN/DME fuse to disable the horn. It worked. But then I spent 20 minutes putting all the presets, time corrections, and Bluetooth settings back in the Alpine because HRN/DME is its memory. Doh! Live and learn. I'd rather annoy the golfers.
I did come up with one small victory today. I reprogramed the remote buttons. It's a 3-button remote. Lock/arm & Unlock/disarm on the left, Aux 3 which is Passenger unlock on the right. And Aux 2 (trunk-pop) which is Remote Start on the middle panic button. So no more two-hand to unlock the passenger door, and the RS is on the "star" button like it is on my Super Duty. Coolness in small victories.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic