the12volt.com spacer
icon

ElectroLuminescent EL Wire for car interior

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bm_vagabond 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2016 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bm_vagabond
I've been thinking of getting some EL Wire to put in the seams on my dashboard and door panels. I been researching the EL wire and it seems pretty simple to install. I have an idea of how I want it wired but im not sure how to do it. I want the EL wire to turn on when I unlock and open the doors with the remote, which would be wiring the inverter for the EL wire with the dome lights but I also want to be able to have them on while im driving (EL wire gives out ambient light, like dashboard lights, it wont distract you if they're on). I was thinking of hooking up a switch so that I'm able to turn them on and off with it but if have the switch in the off position the EL wire will still turn on if i unlock or open my doors, how would I wire the switch? Much like the dimmer switch if I turn the switch all the way up the dome lights turn on while im driving and if I turn it down the lights turn off but still come on if i open or unlock the doors.
namorbrowneyes 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote namorbrowneyes
Most doors are negative switched (use ground to control dimming) to dome lights. Wire the ground of the el wire to (-) of dome lighting and red power +12 to add-a-fuse at fuse junction. The switch is wired with body secured ground at input, output of switch to +12 red of el wire. Theres lots of info online if you search about negative door switches and dome lights.
namorbrowneyes 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2016 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote namorbrowneyes
Actually its this: The switch is wired with body secured ground at input, output of switch to -12 ground of el wire. You may also add a diode at tap off of -neg dome wire.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic