the12volt.com spacer
icon

5704 viper 1995 chevy silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95bowtiefan 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2016 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 95bowtiefan
How do I uninstall a viper 5704, from a 1995 chevy silverado. I removed the alarm and reconnected the only yellow wire, that I saw had been cut to go between the ignition out to the starter. The engine turns over, the fuel pump is running, but the engine won't start. I am sure there is a wire going to the coil that must be cut somewhere, am I on the right track?
Hope I am doing this correctly? Never posted to a forum before.
Thanks for your help.
Bowtiefan
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Did the truck run before the uninstall?
You sound like you are on the right track. Make sure none of your disconnected wires are grounded or making contact with another wire.
A tach sense wire would be connected to the coil or an injector. Disconnected it wouldn't prevent the truck from starting/running but if left grounded or receiving power from another wire it would cause running/no-start issues.
An ignition kill in addition to a starter kill is uncommon in north america but just like the starter kill it would be a cut wire where both halves are/were connected to the alarm/remote start unit.
When you turn the key on does the dash properly light up the dummy lights for the bulb check, does the HVAC blower operate, does everything else that should be powered up when the key is turned on get powered up? If so then it's unlikely you have a cut ignition wire.
About a week about I ran into a similar no-start issue where the driver thought the alarm with starter kill was the culprit. Turns out the starter was operating so the assumption that the alarm was the cause of the no-start was unfounded and a wasted pursuit for them - a starter kill was the only vehicle disable feature installed on this particular truck YMMV. The actual problem turned out to be a low battery in combination with a very common problem with that particular model truck.
I hope this helps give some insight into your ventures.
95bowtiefan 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 95bowtiefan
Thanks for the input, catbat. I followed your idea of checking the dash lights and gauges, I didn't check the a/c blower. After talking with the original installer, he said they don't put in ignition "kills". It turns out the issue is not with the alarm. I removed the alarm because I thought it was causing the issue.
The truck starts and runs. Still have issue though. Now, sometimes while the truck is running, if you turn on the left turn signal, or step on the brake, it will kill the engine. And here is another "kicker", it doesn't always happen. Also, when observing the dash mounted volt meter, while turning on the key, it shows 14+ volts, while cranking it drops to a little under 14. If while cranking the volt meter drops to zero, the engine still turns over, but it will not start. If it doesn't drop to zero, the engine will start. I changed the fuel pump relay, in the off chance that might be the issue. Still have the intermittent issue of the kill engine. Also, when the engine stops, it stops immediately, like turning off the key, not like running out of fuel.
Now I am thinking there is a relay that is "popping".
I hope my rambling is making sense? Trying to get as much pertinent information as possible.
Bowtiefan
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2016 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
The "pink wire" off the ignition switch is randomly dropping out. All the symptoms described are associated with the pink wire circuit.
I would begin with a close inspection of the connections at the Ignition switch for burned terminals. Both reds, and the pink. You may have to drop the steering column for access. There are two tabs on each connector. Squeeze them towards each other. The black one comes out before the blue one will, they're interlocked.
If you don't see anything obvious, replace the ignition switch.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic