the12volt.com spacer
icon

2016 Tundra Key-Sense Not Cooperating

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
branstone 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2016 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote branstone
Good Afternoon All! I come in search of answers and to pick the great minds of 12volt community! 2016 Tundra Key-Sense Not Cooperating -- posted image.
I have a 2016 Tundra that I installed an Advanced Keys PTS/PKE system on (AKS) in tandem with a Fortin Evo-All (EA) for the bypass.The system as a whole after reconfiguring different options works as it should, that is until I bring the key-sense into the equation!
Anytime I hook up the key-sense the truck either ceases to start and or if it is running while I make the connection, it immediately dies. Almost like it creates an immediate "ground out" for lack of a better way of describing it. So far as I know, the Tundra key-sense is a negative connection?
AKS says to use their GWR wire for the key-sense. While Fortin needs the GWR for the starting procedure. I have tried various grounding measures to correct it with no luck. I've tried direct grounding the EA to the truck, all that does is keep the EA on all of the time and still does not correct the starting issue. I've tried different outputs on the AKS that, per their instructions, will operate/simulate a GWR for a bypass module. I even tried to reconnect the original key-sense on the truck and the results are the same! UGH...!!!! Frustrating to say the least! My wife just laughs at me and says "All of this for a PTS system?" What does she know???? 2016 Tundra Key-Sense Not Cooperating -- posted image.
Anyway, I talked to AKS who says it's not on their end and Fortin's response was not on their end since they don't support a key-sense operation on my vehicle.
I would like to have the key-sense connected so that the steering wheel acts like it should and the seat moves into position like it should.
I know it has to be something so SIMPLE that when you guys answer I'm gonna say "Why didn't I think of that?".
Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time!
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2016 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
2016 Tundra Key-Sense Not Cooperating -- posted image.
just to confirm that the black wire is -
and this is the wire you are connecting to?
if so i would really need to know the details of ALL your connections and programming and dig in to your install manuals to be any help.
Gary Sather
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2016 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You should always test. The wire that Gary showed you should go to ground when key is inserted or the unit is activated.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2016 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
I fear the problem is more insideous than that. With the iDatalink solution for that vehicle, it specifically
states that the Keysense wire is not to be used, as such " WARNING DO NOT CONNECT KEYSENSE."
While I have never tried to research all the particulars, using Keysense interferes with the bypass modules
control and "fake-out" of the vehicle durinmg remote start. Kinda gets them fighting. My guess is that you
can not use the bypass module and also the Keysense wire at the same time to get the seat and steering wheel
pre-sets to function.
Soldering is fun!
branstone 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2016 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote branstone
Gents, good morning! Sorry for the late reply. I was out for some time w/o the electronics. I know, I know, people still do that? 2016 Tundra Key-Sense Not Cooperating -- posted image.
I appreciate the feedback! I think kreg357 has hit the nail on the head. I have tried various manipulations to make the Keysense work with no luck. I would have to concur with kreg357 as the 2 do seem to be "fighting" w/ each other for the prize! Although both of them I think will be disappointed 2016 Tundra Key-Sense Not Cooperating -- posted image. .
If y'all thing it will help, I'll be more than glad to post the actual wiring specs? Maybe, just maybe, there's a work around somewhere?
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2016 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Let me get this straight: This car relies on a bypass module to stay running while being driven?
there's guys on here that go ballistic if anyone suggests interrupting any circuit other than the starter for theft protection. Ie "something can fail" causing an engine stall while driving.
I'm surprised they haven't caught this. Or I'm missing something in that it doesn't rely on the bypass to stay running while being driven.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic