the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper's main harness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5corpio 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 5corpio
Hi,
I am installing a Viper 5704 on My Toyota FJ Cruiser. I have 2 starter wires and 2 Ignition wires. I believe the best way to go about wiring the second starter wires and ignition wires are with 2 additional relays. Could someone verify this please?
Also, I believe that I need to cut the starter wires, and connect them to Starter input and Output as shown in the picture.
Could someone verify this as well please?
Thank you very much in advance for your response.
Viper's main harness -- posted image.
5corpio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 5corpio
The vehicle is a 2014 FJ Cruiser with manual transmission btw. I believe the starting harness are very close if not the same in all the years.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The easy way to do it is as follows :
Use the Viper Pink for FJ Cruiser Ignition1.
Use the Viper Pink/White for FJ Cruiser Ignition2. Default Viper programmimg = IGN2
Use the Viper Purple and Green Starter wires to the cut FJ Cruiser Starter1. Observe key and vehicle side directions.
Use the Viper Orange for ACC1.
Use the Viper (-) 200mA Starter Output wire for the extra 30/40 Amp SPDT relay. Wire as follows :
Relay Pin 85 to Viper (-) 200mA Starter Output
Relay Pins 86 and 87 to +12V constant through suitable fuse
Relay Pin 30 to FJ Cruiser Starter2 ( no cut )
Soldering is fun!
5corpio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 5corpio
Thank you very much. Just out of curiosity, does it matter if I cut starter 2 instead of 1?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Think I would cut the Starter1 wire. Not sure exactly what the Starter2 is for. You could try it and see if
the engine cranks and grinds the starter motor during a anti-grind situation ( R/S running the engine ). The
Viper does this for Starter Kill and Anti-Grind and Starter1 should be enough for that purpose.
Soldering is fun!
5corpio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 5corpio
Cheers!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2016 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Should still crank on a warm day if you cut starter two I think, it's either for a boost fuel pump or extra current to the starter on cold days.
For safety sake place a 1N4004 diode across pins 85 and 86 of the relay, band to 86. Relay shutdown spikes have been known to fry the Viper low current board (H2, 24 pin plug), the diode quenches the spike.
5corpio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 5corpio
Thank you Howie. I originally wanted to use two relays that I had lying around and so I think I'll go with them instead of using the internal relay and needing to put that Diode.
On another note, for this remote start to work, what wires do I have to connect/ what pins should I use?
I have attached the wires that I have so far, beside the main 10 wire harness that I already figured out.
1-How do I get the hand break signal to remote? I believe I need this for the manual transmission mode to work.
2-For the purpose of door trigger, since the vehicle has two doors and two different signals, which one / how do I connect H2/12 to these?
3-Any other wires beside the marked ones that I need to connect to the system?
Thanks
5corpio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2016 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 5corpio
Here is the picture of what I have btw. Viper's main harness -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2016 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You're still going to need diodes plus you're now making things more complicated.
And stop using UK English, colonialism like Kreg don't understand hand brake.
As for your other questions, you need to diode join the door triggers to the unit.
Go to switch at Base of hand brake, join to BLACK/ white to H2.
Frankly if you have to ask these questions you're either not reading or understanding the instructions and you should take it to a pro.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic