the12volt.com spacer
icon

Electric Fan Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
timkins 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote timkins
I have a street rod with an electric fan on my radiator with an on/off switch mounted on the dash. I would like to wire in an Electric Fan Thermostat temperature switch that automatically comes on when the temp reaches 195 degrees and goes off at 175 degrees. The switches are available on ebay. It looks like the switch is grounded thru the engine block with the on/off at set temps internally. I want to keep the dash mounted switch so I may override the electric switch. I am not sure of how to wire it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2016 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
you would wire the manual override on/off switch between the automatic thermostat and the fan. like this if you only want the switch to manually override to turn off...
Electric Fan Wiring - Last Post -- posted image.
if you want an override to achieve on AND off you need to add a relay
Gary Sather
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2016 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
This is nearer to the OEM set-up, diagram A uses a simple on-off switch, B an illuminated.
There is one mistake I've just realised, in B 12V+ source for the switch and 86 on the far right relay should be ignition not constant otherwise the fan could be left on permanently. fan_over_ride..png
Note, this way you can over-ride at any time. The relays allow you to use thinner wires and lower current capacity switches.
dane-tec 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2016 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dane-tec
You can find in ebay or aliexpress ready PCBs for this job, you need only to do the wiring job

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic