the12volt.com spacer
icon

12 volt audio system in a party bus

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xcoldbloodfest 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2016 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xcoldbloodfest
So a friend of mine just recently purchased a huge 2002 city bus. Unsure of the make and model.
Anyhow it's a 24 volt system. Has two big batteries side by side wired in series to a massive 24 volt breaker using double 0 guage you can turn on and off.
Then underneath that it has a smaller breaker labeled 12 volts with a 4 guage positive lead coming off the left most battery.
I put two rockford BD1000 amps and a rockford t400x4 amp in the bus and wired them to d blocks and installed a pioneer head unit which grabs power from the amps.
We wanted to add 4 batteries in a parallel 12 volt arrangement for just the audio system when the bus is off.
My question is, i assume I can't just tag onto the "left battery" like the bus is wired and pull 12 volts because my ground is 24 right?
Or can I?
Is there a way to isolate the audio system pulling that much current?
I've looked into DC/DC Chargers at 50 amps or so and I can't find a "decent" brand because I don't know what I'm looking for.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Knowing is Half the Battle
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2016 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
ground is ground. you can tag 12v at the 12v block just verify it is certainly 12v and ground as usual.
Gary Sather
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2016 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote haemphyst
Whatever batteries you add between ground and the 12V tap, you must also add the SAME battery compliment to the 12V tap to 24V terminal. You can't have 5 batteries in parallel between ground and +12, and one battery between +12 and +24. It'll WORK, true that, but you'll be boiling the electrolyte out of the +12 to +24 side, and you'll be replacing that one battery ALL THE TIME.
Best option here: two of the highest cranking, biggest reserve batteries you can lay your hands on, wire them in series, tap at +12V, and go from there. It still won't charge both of them correctly, but they'll last better than 5 smaller batteries in parallel...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic