the12volt.com spacer
icon

smartphone integration to operate dome light etc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
two12 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2016 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote two12
hi all,
looking around at smartphone integration, i have a question for those familiar with this tech.
on this web page for example, I see many options:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i1174_smartphone-controlled-car-alarms-starters.html
i would like to be able to turn on and off the "porch" and other lights on my RV via smartphone. from what ive looked into so far it seems this will probably require a subscription to a paid service.
is this correct or is there a way to do this without paying for a subscription somewhere?
thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2016 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
two12 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2016 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote two12
thanks, they make also a product named "wemo maker" that runs off 5vdc, it is limited to one output though,
then i found this: http://www.panstamp.com/product/output-board/ which is really interesting but i havnt figured out how to control it from a smartphone or if that is even possible. hope so! having 8 outputs to work with a smartphone without some subscription fee would be great!
maybe i need to look at home automation stuff too and see if it can be ran of 12vdc.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2016 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
I've used this in many RV applications. This is 8 channel and 12 volt. Bluetooth. Good for android or Windows. Easy to program via sub.
Gary Sather
tonanzith 
Posted: July 05, 2016 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
Sorry forgot to add the link. Here.
http://numato.com/8-channel-bluetooth-relay-module/
Gary Sather
two12 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2016 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote two12
tonanzith wrote:
Sorry forgot to add the link. Here.
http://numato.com/8-channel-bluetooth-relay-module/
i have no bluetooth experience at all. i assume this works on iphone and android right? what aps to operate it with?
is anything else needed to make it work besides the ap?
tonanzith 
Posted: July 06, 2016 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
A sub cable to program it. It comes pre-programmed with some very basic on off to man's and yes it is compatible with both iPhone and android    It also comes with a list of some more intermediate program Commands. I.e.   Commands for latching for only a timed period Of time etc.
Gary Sather
two12 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2016 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote two12
tonanzith wrote:
A sub cable to program it. It comes pre-programmed with some very basic on off to man's and yes it is compatible with both iPhone and android    It also comes with a list of some more intermediate program Commands. I.e.   Commands for latching for only a timed period Of time etc.
i dont get it and their website doesnt explain how it works either.
is there another piece of hardware that attaches to the iphone to make this work?
or is it like wifi where you see a new network available but instead it is blutooth?
theres gotta be an ap (application/program/software) that runs on the iphone for this then, what is it? maybe i can look that up and get a better idea about this.
seems like its just what i need but not sure. any extra info appreciated. thanks
two12 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote two12
wheredya go tonanzith? Im really interested in that piece of hardware you linked.
and more suggestions on the topic.
tonanzith 
Posted: July 12, 2016 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
I apologize. That was the wrong link. This is the on we use. You can see they have an app for android AND iPhone. You only need a usb cable for some moderate programming but the pre programming covers most basic uses.
Correct link
Gary Sather
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic