the12volt.com spacer
icon

2014 Police Interceptor Sedan. aka Taurus

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dovy6 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2016 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dovy6
OK, so I got a Viper 5806v on eBay, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it up and running. I got a wiring diagram from the seller, and I've looked around the internet and found some info, but everything I've found so far is for the civilian Taurus, nothing really out there for the Police version, that I have.
So, the wiring diagram says to find the Starter (Blue / White) Ignition (White Orange) Accessory (Purple Green) Key Sense (Blue Grey, (which I don't think I need, the car is a Fleet car, with no chip in the key)) and a second 12 volt (Yellow / Red, 5 Amp only))
All these wires are supposed to be located at the "Ignition switch black 7 pin plug. I can't find this anywhere! I found a bundle of wires that heads to the ignition switch, which is taped over with fabric tape and almost impossible to get into, that has at least a few of these wires. I was able to put the key into the on position and start the car by applying 12 volts to the Blue / White wire. (That's the only way I found it, by searching for a heavy gauge blue and white wire.) But I cant find all the rest of them as of yet. Any info on where this 7 pin plug is?
Also, this specific Remote Start I got is a lot less helpful than the other one I was following and almost bought on eBay. The Viper 4706 comes with a thick manual where they go through every wire, what it needs to be connected to, and how to program them. The one I got only has a 2 double side page quick install guide. Why did I get the 5806 instead of the 4706? I don't know.. The 4706 was sold out at the moment I actually went to purchase...
Sorry for the long wall of text. I'm sure I'll have more questions going along, but I'll ask those after I get help with these. Thanks!!
(PS.. I have installed a remote start before, I know they tend to be very complicated and a lot of work. I am comfortable with 12 volt work.)
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2016 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Plug is on the back side of the keyed switch you need to remove the column cover to access it. Search the downloads/manuals for the wiring guide. Wire color designations and functions are the same across all DEI units.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2016 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
As lurch228 says, the Ignition connector your are looking for is at the ignition switch. One thing
to mention, the cars ignition wires are not the same thick 12 gauge wires that the Viper has on H3.
They are much thinner, like 18 gauge. Here is a photo of these wires from an Explorer, yours should
be similar :
2014 Police Interceptor Sedan. aka Taurus -- posted image.
Soldering is fun!
dovy6 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2016 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dovy6
Thanks! But CRAP! Because I tried for about an hour or 2 to get to the back of the cylinder, and was completely unable, due to the way it's mounted on the Police version of the Taurus. I'll try to get pictures if I can today. On the civilian models, I believe, the cylinder is mounted on the steering column. On the police it's mounted on the dash, and to remove it would require taking apart the whole dash. I may have to follow that fabric tape covered bundle of wires and make sure all the ones I need show up lower down.
An unrelated question - I'd like to wire a push button that I can push while the car is running and be able to remove the key without shutting it off, so I can lock the car with the engine running. If I just wire in a momentary ground to the Viper's remote start Activation Input (looks like it should be pin 11 on the 24 pin harness, White / blue) would that work?
Also, can the 5806v automatically start the vehicle when the voltage drops below a certain point? I'm a volunteer EMT, and I can sometimes leave my car for a long time with LED lights running, and I'd like it to start the car so that I don't return to a dead battery. It would be great if the Viper can do it by itself without me needing to buy one of these. http://www.havis.com/products/IDLRT2_UNV_CNTRLMDL-42277-1009.html
Thanks again!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2016 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
All the current Fords at least the UK versions without PTS have those thin wires, I replace the H3 wires with thinner gauge and a single 15 amp fuse.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2016 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
I believe the Explorers' ignition cylinder is in the dash to the right of the steering column, too. After you remove the lower dash trim panel, you can blindly reach behind the panel and unplug that connector from the ignition switch. It's the transponder plug ( that you don't have ) that's a PITA to get at.
Keeping the engine running and removing the key is called Pit Stop mode. Your Viper has it. With the vehicle in Park and the Brake pedal NOT depressed, just press the Viper remotes start button, wait a second and remove the key.
Soldering is fun!
dovy6 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2016 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dovy6
Thanks for your help! Pit stop sounds right. OK, I hope to do the install on Sunday. I'm sure I'll be back with questions after that. Really need to do this because right now I don't have any way of unlocking the doors other than the key. Thanks again for all your help!
dovy6 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2016 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dovy6
OK, got it hooked up to the point where I remote started my vehicle and it seems to be working OK. Thanks for the help. Stupid question. What happens if I don't hook up the ACC wire? The wire in the car is a tiny, maybe 18 gauge. The wire coming from the Viper is probably 12. But it seems like it's working fine now, without it being hooked up. What am I missing without it?
Thanks!
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2016 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Acc runs the heating and cooling fan on most vehicles. If the heating and cooling is working with out it then leave it un-hooked. The small gauge vehicle wire goes to a relay, it wont hurt to hook the large gauge wire to it as there is little draw from the remote start. Older vehicles need the heave gauge wire as they are direct battery feed from the switch.
dovy6 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2016 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dovy6
OK then, I'll ignore it for now, because the AC runs full blast without it connected. Thanks again!
Anyone have info on having the viper auto-start below a certain voltage?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic