the12volt.com spacer
icon

Clifford alarm malfunction

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beteljuze 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2016 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beteljuze
I have a Clifford AvantGuard 5 alarm in a 2006 Chevy Tahoe. The alarm also has the remote start and power windows up/down features. I have always kept it in valet mode and haven't had any problems. Recently when I hit a bump while driving the dome lights come on/off and locks will unlock/lock. The message center will say "drivers door ajar." It has gotten progressively worse so that I now can't drive the truck because this is continually happening. Doing research has told me that the fault lies wth the drivers door latch-there is a micro switch in the latch which goes bad. Ok, but when I removed the lower dash piece I found the Clifford alarm module there. I have noticed that while I'm driving this module is constantly ticking and clicking, whether hitting bumps or not. So now I'm wondering if the alarm is at fault-maybe a wire is shorting somewhere under the dash. There are actually two separate alarm modules and the wires to them are quite hard to see and get at. I need to find a way to tell if this problem is a faulty component of the truck, or is it the alarm module itself. I would like some advice as to what to do. I have no problem having the entire alarm removed, but can someone tell me from their expertise if this sounds like an alarm problem so I know which route to take. Thanks in advance.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2016 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Large white molex plug on alarm part needs plugging in properly.
beteljuze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2016 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beteljuze
The alarm module is installed in such a way that the connector side is facing in and up under the dash. I will attempt to gain access to that part of it and check the molex connection. Thank you.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2016 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Or, unplug the module completely and drive it. If the problem goes away, you know it's the alarm.
beteljuze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2016 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beteljuze
I would like to do that but I was under the impression that the vehicle wouldn't start with the module completely unplugged, is that not true? As I implied earlier, I have no problem not having the alarm. I am selling the truck to buy new but this problem started quite suddenly, which negates me from showing the truck because it has this problem.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2016 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
If wired correctly you'll have neither ignition nor starter as on the UK versions but it might be worth a chance though IMO far easier to get at that plug.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic