the12volt.com spacer
icon

2008 vw gti hard wire start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gudenkau 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2016 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gudenkau
Wiring gurus
I need expertise, wife's car has a bad key cylinder. Key locks up and wont move, pulled key cylinder apart fixed for now but I want it fixed permanently, dealer wants $1500+ depending on parts, I want to do a remote start and add push button start to eliminate key cylinder. Obviously rf key needs to be wrapped, back side of key cylinder appears to be standard ign cylinder. 6 wires, 2 12v ign, 1 12v constant, 1 12v crank, 1 appears to show higher voltage crank, last shows 12v off .002 v while in ign and run.
Can keep key in rf reader and start car with screw driver I'm ign cylinder with rf reading portion pulled and run below dash.
Can anyone confirm being able to hard wire basic push start in here? Is it data? These wires are directly on back of key cylinder BEFORE column module from key to module. Again obviously lose key but I just need a cheaper solutiom.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
If your turn switch side with a screw driver and key is being read by transponder loop you should be good. But it will look like you are driving a stolen car and will get scrutiny for law enforcement. lock cylinder should be replaceable as long as the transponder module is kept the same as it is id paired to the vehicle. And changing the transponder module will require it to be programmed to the vehicle. A local reputable lock smith should be able to do this a lot cheaper than the dealer. Whether you buy the lock cylinder your self or from them. The fee is typically still the same.
gudenkau 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gudenkau
Wouldn't be the first time I drove a car around with a screw driver I've owner plenty of salvaged vehicles due to thefts. as long as paper work is in order doesn't matter how the car starts in my opinion
The two issues I have are, with no internals in the cylinder (using a screw driver) the switch is too light and sensitive and will turn back or forward toward crank while driving. So I have reassembled the cylinder without any locks inside of it to retain rigidity and maintain driveability. The second issue, as to why this is still an issue ando I can't just leave it AS. Functioning ignitor switch with just the steering lock and double crank locks removed, is the transponder receiver that holds the laser cut chipped key is now beginning to jam itself. It's a seperate piece that holds the key and locks the cylinder. And reads the key. Simple solution would be to pop that piece out and use 2 keys but then it gets back to being ghetto. So im looking for a nice solution that doesnt break the bank and avoids oaying the dealer outrageous fees. From what I've been told locksmiths don't have the capability to marry the transponder to the vehicle (the piece that is now of concern) they can program keep keys to the transponder and but not the housing to the car. Thats why it's dealer only. P.s. I work for dealers and asked around and talked to 3rd party locksmith who told me he didn't and dint know of anyone with the capability.
So I return back to whether I want to a. Replace lock cylinder housing (already removed the sheared security bolts and replaced them with Phillips screws) and the steering wheel lock (removed due to jamming on broken cylinder housing) Double crank lock mechanism (originally what broke), all the internals of the cylinder (?) And the most expensive part the key housing that has to get programmed by the dealer with new keys and key cylinders in the doors to match ignition. That is now being to jam due to all the attempts to start the car with jammed internals on the cylinder.
Or b. Buy cheap eBay push to start for $40, hard wire the car under the the dash eliminate the cylinder all together and install a good alarm.this wayou it looks like a nice upgrade and I don't pay the dealers fees.   
So yes I know locksmiths have the capabilities to help with some of the issue. and understand the woes of what I'm looking at, I just want to verify that the back of the ignition Switch itself is not data and that the only data is in the transponder and to column module that is after the cylinder wiring I'm talking about.
P.s. for retailers that offer the push start upgrades this would mean that vws would be a lot easier, and even able to offer it as a solution to what could turn into a $2k bill real quick.
gudenkau 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gudenkau
http://m./itm/191565152325?_mwBanner=1
That's the product I'm referencing, I know someone who has it in their vehicle and it works well enough only giving him a couple of issues the entire time he's owned it and said there is a Valet start method for it (like newer smart key vehicles have either way) and once he does that it goes back to working fine for him.
gudenkau 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gudenkau
Never mind that link doesn't work wonthen allow measy to copy and paste sorry.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Yes you can do the push start mod, but to eliminate you transponder issue just use a bypass module like the (556u) or wrap one of the original keys. As the transponder is RF (Radio frequency) Plenty of info to be found on doing the transponder in the remote start section. Basically you'll be defeating the OEM transponder by leaving the key under the dash. And using the new transponder to secure the vehicle. As long as the OEM transponder is being read and the ignition wires are being powered it will start and run. You could unplug the factory switch all together.
gudenkau 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gudenkau
I didn't even think about eliminating the transponder with a 556u wrap aftually. Not a bad idea. I was going to insert the Valet key and secure that assembly under the dash whole. There was enough harness on the transponder module that I could tuck it up under the dash easily. But a 556u might be a cleaner route
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Just make sure that the steering lock can't engage!
gudenkau 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gudenkau
lurch228 wrote:
Just make sure that the steering lock can't engage!
It's already been removed completely. Spent 4 hours drilling and tapping out the security screws to get it out, that's what jammed earlier this week and lead to me tying to find an alternative.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Sounds like your on your way to push to start. Just need to get the items you need to get it done.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic