the12volt.com spacer
icon

Factory Arm/Disarm vs. Lock & Unlock wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prince504 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2016 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
I am looking to do a RS install on a 2010 Ford F150 and am considering going W2W. The bypass I wish to use only has a lock & unlock wire but the RS brain has both Factory Arm/Disarm and Lock & Unlock wires.
Can I use the Arm/Disarm wires alone or do I have to tie in the Lock/Unlock wires from the alarm brain as well and diode isolate?
The alarm is the Compustar CS6502-AS and the vehicle doesn't have an OEM alarm but I will be adding one.
Thnx
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2016 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
The Factory Arm /Disarm is only for control of a OEM alarm and are not need for the CS6502-AS you only need to use the Compustar W2W to the bypass for lock/unlock to operate the door locks through vehicle data.
prince504 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
lurch228 wrote:
The Factory Arm /Disarm is only for control of a OEM alarm and are not need for the CS6502-AS you only need to use the Compustar W2W to the bypass for lock/unlock to operate the door locks through vehicle data.
Thnx for the responce. Also, if I after the install, if I arm the vehicle with the Compustar alarm keyfob, will I be able to unlock the vehicle with the factory keyfob without triggering the aftermarket alarm?
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
The Compustar might have a disarm input. If the unit is the same as the CM6000 then the Aux 1 input can be configured to disarm with a + or - pulse to disarm, and Aux 2 can be configured to Arm with a + or - pulse on the optional Green connector(CN14). These are set in options 4-06 and 4-07. Hopefully someone with compustar experience will chime in to verify.
prince504 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
lurch228 wrote:
The Compustar might have a disarm input. If the unit is the same as the CM6000 then the Aux 1 input can be configured to disarm with a + or - pulse to disarm, and Aux 2 can be configured to Arm with a + or - pulse on the optional Green connector(CN14). These are set in options 4-06 and 4-07. Hopefully someone with compustar experience will chime in to verify.
I can confirm it does have those inputs after looking at the guide. Aux 1 and 2 inputs can be set to (-) Arm and (-) Disarm
So would I need to tie these two wires to the Unlock & Lock wires of the vehicle to allow control of the aftermarket alarm from the OEM remote?
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Correct! You will need to make sure the manual power door lock switches are diode isolated from these wires otherwise they can be used to shut off alarm.
prince504 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
lurch228 wrote:
Correct! You will need to make sure the manual power door lock switches are diode isolated from these wires otherwise they can be used to shut off alarm.
I am familiar with using diodes (they allow for current to go one way), but please can you elaborate on how I would diode isolate the door switches?
So I imagine tapping the Arm/Disarm inputs into the Lock/Unlock wires. Can you describe how to implement the diodes from this point? How many diodes would I need? And what wires would I put them on?
Thnx
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
I know it can be done but have never installed a Compustar system. I mainly use DEI products Which don't have this function. You will need to check and see if anyone has done this on you vehicle as I have not.
prince504 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
lurch228 wrote:
I know it can be done but have never installed a Compustar system. I mainly use DEI products Which don't have this function. You will need to check and see if anyone has done this on you vehicle as I have not.
Thnx
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Your vehicle does not currently have an OEM alarm "but I will be adding one". Why? A properly installed and calibrated aftermarket alarm is more "effective" than the OEM alarm.
"Will the OEM fobs dis-arm the aftermarket alarm?". This is a common question. There are specific aftermarket alarms intended to be used with OEM key fobs. These have additional "defeat inputs" that do not allow the door switches to dis-arm the alarm system.
Install the aftermarket alarm and R/S, and abandon the factory fobs.
"Transplanting" a factory alarm system from a donor vehicle into an existing truck is not always straight-forward. Lots of research and studying factory wiring diagrams is required. Then one has to actually find and harvest the required components, wiring, and connectors from a wrecking yard. Your truck is now 20 years old. These parts are found on other models, but those models will also be 20 years old. May be difficult to find. Why bother? Do a good aftermarket install, and be done.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic