the12volt.com spacer
icon

Aftermarket Head Unit in 2002 Acura RL With Bose

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
passmaster16 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote passmaster16
Hi, I would like to upgrade the stock head unit in my 2002 Acura RL which is the non-navi version with the premium Bose sound system. I would like to do this without having to swap the factory Bose speakers/amp. I was looking at the double DIN Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS as a possible option. My understanding of this Bose system is that the factory head unit sends line level signal, not speaker level signal to the amp. If this is true, I'd assume feeding the signal directly from an aftermarket head unit could overpower the Bose amp/speakers which would cause problems, correct? With that being said, the AVH-X3800BHS has six 4-volt pre-amp outputs. Would it be possible to simply use a harness like the image below that would connect to the Pioneer's RCA pre-amp outs to feed the audio signal to the LF, RF, LR, RR connections on the factory harness?
Aftermarket Head Unit in 2002 Acura RL With Bose - Last Post -- posted image.
Thx,
Josh
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Use the Metra 70-1721. If you use the pictured harness you will not be happy with the output level.
passmaster16 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote passmaster16
i am an idiot wrote:
Use the Metra 70-1721. If you use the pictured harness you will not be happy with the output level.
Thank you for your reply. Should I be concerned with sending speaker level output directly into the Bose amp? I have heard some people on the Acura forums saying they did this on their RLs and the signal was either too hot or there was audible noise. Some have mentioned they resolved these issues by using the Pac AOEM-HON20 LOC. I thought I could achieve the same thing without the Pac AOEM-HON20 by using the RCA preamp outs on the new head unit.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 25, 2016 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
The deck you are putting in has speaker level adjustments. If it is hot you can easily reduce the output level of the speaker and RCA outputs.
If you use the harness pictured you will not be happy with the output level.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic