the12volt.com spacer
icon

Power folding mirrors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djhemmen 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2016 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote djhemmen
I searched these forums (as well as Google) and couldn't seem to find an answer to what I am trying to do. I want to wire my power folding mirrors in my 2007 Audi A4 to automatically close when I press the lock button on my factory keyless remote and open when I press the unlock button. I did find a few posts where @blkrhyno was attempting to do the same thing and @hotwaterwizard and @howie ll were very helpful but he has an A6 and his listed wires are not like mine.
On my switch in the drivers door that opens/closes the mirrors I have 4 wires:
Blue/brown stripe 1.11V all the time
Brown 0.2V in left/center(neutral)/right position & 0.5V while opening/closing
Blue/black stripe 0.78V in all positions 0.25V when adjusting mirrors
Blue 0.13V in left adjustment position
     0.46V in center/neutral position
     0.28V in right adjustment position
     0.02V while mirrors folding and in folded switch position.
All of these values are the same when the key is in the ignition as well as off.
Here's a picture of the mirror switch:
Power folding mirrors -- posted image.
I have 2 of the DEI 528T's as was suggested to @blkrhyno for his install.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2016 at 3:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
This is a resistance switch. Start with dmm to contacts on bottom of switch when not connected to wiring. In the fold position and see if only 2 contacts are connected and the resistance.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2016 at 5:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Based on the measurements you made the Blue wire is the selection wire. The Blue/Brown stripe is the reference voltage wire.
Now I need to know how the switchs works to fold or unfold the mirrors. does it fold the mirrors in when you rotate the switch 180° or do you need to move it left and right also?
djhemmen 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2016 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote djhemmen
Thanks for the reply lurch228. Yes, the mirrors fold when you rotate the switch 180 degrees so the dot points down towards the window switches in the picture from original post. They unfold when you rotate the switch to any of the 3 positions that point away from the window switches.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2016 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
1. Also can you clarify the previous readings you got on the Brown when Opening/Closing is the same or different when the mirrors are moving or at rest.
2. OK so matching the blue/Brown wire(reference voltage) to its corresponding terminal. With the switch unhooked from the wiring in fold position. Measure the resistance in (ohms) to the other 3 terminals, starting with the matching terminal to the Blue wire. If I'm right it should be open or very close to being open. Record the resistances of the connections and the location by matching wire color. Then switch back to center(neutral) and measure from (reference terminal) to Brown terminal.
Post the results so we can go to the next step.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2016 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I'm guessing we're looking at m/plex or data here so none of the switch wires are relevant. Probably signalled at the switch to the BCM and that's where the MOTOR wires output, use a pair of DEI 528t timer relays triggered by an ignition wire, mirrors will open on ign and close when you remove the key.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2016 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Or the data signal goes to a door module in EACH door then the motor wires are outputted you'll need to run 4 wires to each door!
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2016 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
@howie ll I know your way works but if we can decipher the switch based on the switch design. The position wire can be interrupted and feed the fold position resistance from the reference wire and activated using a relay and the ground when armed to fold both mirrors in. The when disarmed would resume normal operation. Thus no need to cut motor wires and install modules in both doors and run all those wires needed to do it that way. Based on his measurements thus far, what the resistance is when in fold position that drops the reference from 1.11 volts to .02 volts, and with all other positions being higher and different voltages is leading me to believe that it can be done. Once the folded resistance is known it can be tested by placing a matching resistor across the plug (While not connected to switch) from the reference voltage to the selection wire and see if they fold in. If he's willing to try I will do my best to help him do it.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2016 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
OK, point taken.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2016 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
@howie ll That's ok were all here to help. Let them decide what help they want.
Question why doesn't anyone use the 529t or 530t which has adjustable load sense to stop the output when wiring direct to motors doing it your way?
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic