the12volt.com spacer
icon

Audible relay clicking sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2016 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the clicking is the sound of the moving parts (contacts/armature) inside the relay. The suppression diode helps prevent back EMF when the contacts open (so it doesn't behave like the ignition coil on a car), so I don't think it'll affect the clicking sound.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2016 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Yes but the coil bounce is the RESULT of the spike! See there's usable facts inside nearly 50 years in this game!
prince504 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2016 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
howie ll wrote:
Yes but the coil bounce is the RESULT of the spike! See there's usable facts inside nearly 50 years in this game!
That's why you're the expert Audible relay clicking sound - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
So I take it you often use a diode on your relay applications right?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2016 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Always since I managed to blow up a Clifford G4 AND an Intellistart 4 at the same time around 15 years ago!
Luckily I was pals with everyone at the importers back in the day!
I remember about 2 years ago asking someone to do just that, amazingly enough he didn't listen and manged to fry both the lock outputs and the 24-pin H2 plug outputs on a 5X04, the point being, NEVER assume it's internally protected.
Page of 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic