the12volt.com spacer
icon

LED Light bar wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shezza 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2016 at 4:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shezza
So I bought a LED light bar and have it wired up and working, but I am just not sure I have gone the right way about it, so I was hoping some people could share their opinion.
Here is the diagram they supplied me with.
Their switch has lights, hence the + and - going to it and the white wire (86) has the + signal coming from the switch, to the relay.
So I cut the switch away as I have my own switch. I initially wanted the white wire to be the switching wire between the high beam and relay, but my high beam earth switches, so that wasn't an option. I instead ran a constant + to the other side of the switch for the white wire and I connected the B (85) wire to the high beams earth switching wire. As you can see, the B wire is where the - for the light bar splices in.
So this is what I have been building to... The earth wire for the high beam might not be built to handle close to 500W, so I am wondering if maybe I should cut the earth wire that goes to the light bar and earth it to the body separately. Does that sound right?
Hope that makes sense! I read it twice and naturally I can make sense of it, but I am the one who wrote it. If anyone needs some clarification, feel free to tell me so.
Thanks
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2016 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
If you are only energizing a relay you would be fine. But you ground is shared and needs to be separated.
By moving the light side to chassis ground. So the Vehicle High bean ground is not carrying both grounds, only a additional relay ground.
If you want to use the high beam ground. you risk overloading it the way you have it.
shezza 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2016 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shezza
Thanks for your reply Lurch!
I changed it all around and it works a dream.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2016 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
No problem.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic