the12volt.com spacer
icon

Mitigating RF signal leakage using a standard RF

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rknowles 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2016 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rknowles
I'm involved in a project that requires that we shield a space from ambient EM radiation using a Faraday enclosure in some conditions, and in others, we try to replicate the ambient EM radiation from the outside world between the ranges of 20MHz and 6GHz using two different Rx (outside our Faraday cage) and Tx (inside our Faraday cage) antenna pairs (one operating from 20MHz-2GHz and the other operating at 2-6GHz).  There is a hole with a sleeve in our Faraday cage which connects the Rx and Tx antennas, while preserving EM shieding.  We have two Relcomm RF relays (model # RDS-2S1D6) to fit inbetween the two antenna pairs.  Now to the problem.
Even when we configure the two RF relays to be normally "off" by connecting output to the "NO"" terminal, and capping the "NC" terminal with a termination load cap (specified to work from DC-6GHz with up to a 1 watt power--being more wattage than we're actually transmitting), we still get a slight bit of RF signal leakage through the RF relays into our Faraday enclosure.  It's actually enough to pick up an FM radio station (albeit, out of many others that are effectively blocked out) as well as some almost non-functional internet connectivity over 2.4GHz wifi in some cases.
So, the question I am posing is how can we ensure that absolutely none of the EM radiation from the outside world (or very close to it) gets through this RF relay when it is in it's unpowered (default) position being "NO" or open/off? Attached is a photo of one of the RF relays we are using, as well as one of the amplifiers that services the signal incoming from the Rx antenna but before it gets to the RF relay.  I appreciate any responses from any of you about how to resolve this signal leakage issue.  Thanks for any incoming help!
Best regards,
Richard Knowles, Ph.D. (in psychology--not RF or electrical engineering) Mitigating RF signal leakage using a standard RF - Last Post -- posted image.
Richard Knowles, Ph.D.
Sofia University
Palo Alto, CA
rknowles 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2016 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rknowles
Mitigating RF signal leakage using a standard RF - Last Post -- posted image.
Richard Knowles, Ph.D.
Sofia University
Palo Alto, CA
rknowles 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2016 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rknowles
Mitigating RF signal leakage using a standard RF - Last Post -- posted image.
Richard Knowles, Ph.D.
Sofia University
Palo Alto, CA
rknowles 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2016 at 3:02 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rknowles
I'm very sorry, but I can't seem to post the image of one of our RF relays (along with its amplifier), like I said would be accessible in my first post about mitigating RF leakage in a relay. Whenever I do so, it appears to successfully upload, and then the actual post is non-functional and doesn't display the photo... Perhaps it has to be approved first? Not sure, but I'll keep trying a bit later.
Best,
Richard
Richard Knowles, Ph.D.
Sofia University
Palo Alto, CA

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic