the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Extra cargo lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
12vlost 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2016 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 12vlost
Hi!
I'm looking to add extra cargo lights in a Dodge sprinter van, I'd like them to operate the same way as the original, on when door opened off when closed.
From what I gather the live feed is always live and it's the negative that's pulled by a module controlling supervision.
I'm basically looking for a relay schematic that closes when - is removed and powered from a leisure battery.
TIA
12vlost 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 12vlost
It's a 2006 van if it matters
TIA
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2016 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
If you want to add more Standard lights with out adding any extra load to the existing circuit. You can use the positive and negative from the closest light to the additional lights to activate a relay. Depending on whether or not the current positive feed can handle more lights will depend on how many and type of lights your going to add. If you switch all the current lights over to LED you can add more lights to the existing circuit with out issue(No relay needed). Otherwise you will need to run a new positive to feed the new lights and ground to chassis. With the relay switching them on when existing lights come on. Basically tie relay 86 to positive and 85 to ground of existing light. Then 87 to positive constant source and 30 to new lights postive feed. The existing bulbs are 10w, switching to led will lower the draw to around 2 watts per bulb. So you could safely triple the amount of lights by switching to all LED bulbs with out using a relay and just teeing off the existing lights.
If you know what type and how many lights you are going to add post back the info and I can narrow down your options.
12vlost 
Posted: August 20, 2016 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 12vlost
Thanks!
I'm fitting led strips and a couple of led square fitting drawing about 29 watts in total plus the original 3 lights.
I first thought to supply a new fused live from the leisure battery then use the negative from the existing wiring (no relay) but it's thin gauge wire to the existing harness so may not handle the current.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2016 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Adding a additional 29 watts to the existing 3 original (30 watts) is asking for trouble. Use a relay to existing light for turn on 86 POS, 85 Ground and wire the new fused wire to relay 87, 30 out to lights. Ground new lights to existing chassis ground of body (not existing light ground).
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2016 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
06 Sprinter if the same as Europe used a straight POS to the light and NEG switching to from the door contacts, separate circuits front and rear, the POS feed could be timer controlled, i.e. 10 minute shutdown.
10 watt bulbs used, if I remember as many as 3 OEM lights = 3 to 5 amp draw, the 29 watt which seems excessively high BTW for LED lighting will add another 3 amps. Just wire in parallel from any existing light unit and forget the relay. By running directly from the battery you're by-passing the timer circuit.
I've done this many times on Sprinters etc. No relays no problems.
Just be aware that the OEM back door switch on that model fails!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2016 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
And by the way Mr. Lost, you must be, it was only ever sold as a
MERCEDES Sprinter in Europe and a similar VW Crafter with VW engine and ignition switch.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2016 at 4:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
There Dodge Sprinters here in the USA. Local chyrsler dodge dealer had a few of them on their lot.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2016 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Yes but just pointing out that Dodge Vans haven't been seen in Europe since WW ll therefore our poster isn't from the UK!!
12vlost 
Posted: August 20, 2016 at 5:26 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 12vlost
No not lost this seems to be American based so just being polite, costs nothing to be nice :-)
Thanks for the tips guys
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic