the12volt.com spacer
icon

535t for power-fold mirrors retrofit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I have a 1999 F250 Super Duty with outside tow mirrors. I am interested in retrofitting power-folding mirrors as used in 2008-up. Because my truck has no provision for operating folding mirrors, I have no problems with wiring DPDT toggle switches to operate the fold. Because of the way I maneuver the truck into my yard, I need to fold one or the other mirror at a time, so they will be independent from each other unlike an OEM set-up.
I would like to have both mirrors auto-fold upon arming the alarm.
I would also like to have "one-touch" for the fold operation when the truck is running, ie, touch the toggle switch, and that mirror completely folds or unfolds.
I have never worked with a 535t, but have read the install instructions, and am familiar with its operation and programming. A 535t will satisfy my requirements listed above. Cool.
Here's the question: Do the fold motors in the mirrors present enough of a load to the 535t that it can "learn" the positions, and function properly?
Has anyone used a 535t for retrofit folding mirrors?
Any other comments?
Thanks for reading.....
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Recently discussed this in another post and @howie II said that the mirror load is to low for the 530T, And the 535T is the 4 window version of the 530T. I suggested trying to mod the 530T to lower its load setting in the opposite way is suggested to increase it load setting to high draw motors. Don't know if this can be bone on the 535T though.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=141568&tpn=2#718953
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Ok, thanks.
The differences I see between the 530 and the 535:
It looks like the 530 reacts to an increase in current when the motor reaches full-travel at the end of each direction. So does the 535. But for the 530 the threshold is set with dip switches, the 535 "learns" it.
Vent function in the 535 can be programmed. Not applicable to my mirror fold.
The 535 has some additional inputs such as STOP and DELAY. I don't need them.
Thanks for the link to the other discussion. My deal is much simpler. No data, no modules, no BCM's. Just Type-C (both legs rest open) reversing motor circuits. So the question remains: Do fold motors present enough of a load for a 530 or a 535 to function? These are big-azz mirrors, not little puny things on an Audi.
I'll probably buy one and test it. (Howie loves the word "test"). If it won't work the mirrors, I'll put it on the windows.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2016 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
With the 530T if higher Resistance equals higher loads then in turn lower resistance would have to equal lower loads being sensed. Just need to find the resistance needed to operate any given load. That's where the 530T Modification comes into play with doing the reverse of whats listed. By using a lower resistor or a adjustable POT to achieve the proper sense load.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Use a pair of 528t timer relays, simpler wiring.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2016 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
howie ll wrote:
Use a pair of 528t timer relays, simpler wiring.
Thanks, Howie.
To have independent control of each mirror, this would require 2 pair, or 4 total 528's, correct? I found 528's for $17 USD. That's $68USD for my deal. I found a 535 for $43 USD. Wiring about the same between 4 528's and one 535 I suppose.
What does the 528 do if it sees a continuous GWA ground on it's trigger? Does it keep the relay energized?
The window controllers are probably the better solution for my deal, but I appreciate the food-for-thought. I'll keep it in mind.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2016 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
No, it only works for the time you set. I time open and close then add 1 sec.
Yes that's the problem of course when you want to control the mirrors independently.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic