the12volt.com spacer
icon

1 ohm wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fluidics 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2016 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fluidics
I have a monoblock amp but it has two channels. My question is when wiring two 4ohm subs to 1ohm. Should I put the positive and negative on the same channel (next to each other) or one on each channel (positive and negative on opposite sides of each other)?
--------------------        -------------------
| O | X | X | O | | X | X | O | O |
--------------------        -------------------
O = wire
X = no wire
fluidics 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fluidics
Now that I think about it, since it is a mono amp would wiring one sub to each channel still be 1 ohm?
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2016 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
It would be if the subs are 2 ohm or a DVC 4 ohm each wired in parallel. Since your subs are SVC 4 ohm the amp will only be at 2 ohm not 1 ohm.
Manufactures differ in the connector design but in the end all mono amps that have 4 connectors instead of 2 are internally bridged. If you test the continuity between the positive terminals they will be connected together same goes for the negative terminals. Typically 2 terminals saves money, 4 terminals is more expensive but makes it easier to connect multiple subs. Especially when running more than 2 subs to a single amp that is less that 1 ohm stable.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2016 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Also a Mono amp sums the input from left and right to get a mono input
fluidics 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2016 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fluidics
I see. Actually my subs are dual voice coil so I guess they are running at 1 ohm :)
fluidics 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2016 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fluidics
Thanks for answering my question btw.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2016 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Then you have the DVC's in parallel which makes each sub 2 ohm and the subs paralleled together to make a 1 ohm load. Otherwise you can have a 4 ohm or a 8 ohm load depending on how they are wired.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic