the12volt.com spacer
icon

Momentary Relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rogerg 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2016 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogerg
Hi all,
I have a question about the following momentary relay circuit.
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#ctm
If the switched 12v stays switched on will the R/C circuit continue to bleed the circuit and keep the relay open until the switched 12v is removed?
I have a central locking system in my daughters car and when you lock the car one wire goes to 12v and stays there until the car is unlocked. What I would like to do is use this circuit to flash the turn signals to show the car is locked. What concerns me is draining the battery while the car is locked.
Then when the car is unlocked and a second wire goes to 12v I would use a second relay to switch on the interior light until she starts the car (this would mean a latched circuit I guess that is turned off by starting the car).
Thanks
RogerG
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2016 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Once the capacitor is charged, the relay coil will deenergize. If you use a 10k bleed resistor as in the diagram, current draw will be negligible (1-2 ma), and you won't have to worry about it.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
rogerg 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2016 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogerg
Thank you.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2016 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Find a lock motor wire, this will stay either on ground (99% of vehicles) or be open circuit.
It should show 12 V+ for between 0.4 and 0.8 seconds.
Run a wire from there (either door loom) to relay 86, 85 to ground then 15 amp fused constant to 87, out from 30 via two wires, one for each side BUT a 3 amp diode inline, 1N5404, bands away from relay.
rogerg 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2016 at 5:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogerg
Thank you, I will double check but the wire goes to 12v and stays there.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2016 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Then I don't think you've found a motor wire.
How's about make model and year, help us to help you.
rogerg 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2016 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogerg
It's an after market system, pretty common. Blue and green wires to slave actuators, brown, white, blue and green to the master. The brown goes high when the doors are locked and the white goes high when they are unlocked.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2016 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Green should be motor lock wire.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic