the12volt.com spacer
icon

Reverse Polarity Switch - 3 relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rawfaith 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2016 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rawfaith
Hello everyone!
Amazing site that we just found... wow...much needed place!
Long story short:
Have an RV (1990 Avion 5th wheel). The Slide out mechanism use a momentary reverse polarity switch.
The slide out stopped working and while inspecting the relays, found that several of the connections got loose, so now I have no clue where they need to go back.
I looked on every wiring diagram on this site and the most common ones for 3 relays are ones that reverse the polarity of the input. In our case the switch is the one reversing the polarity.
Any ideas about how to rewire this?
I'm replacing all the connectors and tested the switch to the motor and it works ( both directions ) I know there is a reason for the relays. But Why there isn't any relays for the landing gear?
Thanks for the time and your help in advance
rawfaith 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rawfaith
Well, I see that if I change the switch from a reverse polarity to a double pole that will give me the chance to reverse the polarity with the relays.
BUT this system was working, so....
does anyone has any clues?
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Does the switch control the relays? If so, the relays are carrying the current for the motor. The switch is only carrying current to control the relays.
Are there limit switches on the fold-out? Does the motor stop running when the fold-out is fully open or closed? If so, these could be wired into the control side of the relays.
Is there "overload sensing"? Like if you park too close to an obstruction and the foldout hits it, does the system detect the increased resistance, and cut power to the motor? This feature would control a relay.
Are there any electronic alarms and/or latches associated with the fold out that might be interfaced into the motor control?
Is the "motor" an actual electric motor driving the fold-out, or is is a motor driving a hydraulic pump? If hydraulic, is there more than one fold-out, and the same pump is used for all of them, with electric valves for the individual fold-outs?
Sorry for all the questions. I've seen my buddys' operate their fold-outs, but am not familiar with their circuitry, nor have I owned one myself. I don't know much about the nuances of the systems.
If you can't figure out the original wiring configuration, you may have to get info from the manufacturer (if they still exist; probably not), or perhaps another owner on an RV or fiver forum can help.
Can you post or link a pic of the relays?
How many wires are at the switch? (That come into it, not jumper on the switch)
How many wires at the relay array? (The come into the array, not jumper between relays or terminals).
Have you been able to identify any of the above wires? Like "power", "ground", "Motor", "from switch", "to relays", etc?
I don't know why there are 3 relays. Motor reversing can be done with two. Unless one is a power-cut or something.
If you can help us identify the components and wires, we can help you get it hooked back up.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic