the12volt.com spacer
icon

speed sensor 2013 Dodge caravan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jantom 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2016 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jantom
I need a basic wiring diagram and physical location of the vehicle speed sensor on a 2013 dodge caravan with a 3.6L engine and 6 speed transmission.
Color codes on wires and destination of wires would be helpful along with any specified signal name function.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2016 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Try this:
Caravan:    2011-2014,
VSS Signal: Color: Dark GREEN/ Brown, ECM module inside of the driver side front bumper, green connector. Other wire with the GREEN/ Brown will be ground.
jantom 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2016 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jantom
OK thanks I will check this.
Is ECM located under the hood or is it inside the cabin behind a trim panel?
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2016 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
lurch228 wrote:
Try this:
Caravan:    2011-2014,
VSS Signal: Color: Dark GREEN/ Brown, ECM module inside of the driver side front bumper, green connector. Other wire with the GREEN/ Brown will be ground.
jantom 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2016 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jantom
this is a very tight spot to get to and I want to be sure and not waste effort.
I am looking for the signal that feeds the speedometer and odometer.
That signal starts at each wheel with the wheel speed sensor in the ABS circuit. This signal also provides info for the speedometer.
Only one wheel needs to be connected for the speedometer to indicate speed; but all four wheels provide signal.
The signals from all four wheels are combined somehow/somewhere to show vehicle speed as well as inform the ABS module of wheel slip.
My real question is if I disconnect that Dark GREEN/ Brown wire you mentioned will the speedometer stop indicating.
Would you have a plug/pin number?
Thanks
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2016 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
You would disconnect negative battery terminal then unplug the Green connector to make you connection. Wheel sensors don't feed the Spedo that is done from the output on the trans, which is where the Dark GREEN/ Brown comes from along with the ground wire paired with it.
jantom 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2016 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jantom
Thanks for getting back. It is a 62TE trans and it has three sensors. I thought the trans sensor fed the speedo but when I disconnect all three the speedo still reads.
There is an Input Shaft Sensor; a Transfer Shaft Sensor; and an Output Shaft Sensor.
here is a link to a pic
https://www.atsg.us/atsg/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/h/chrylser-62te-18-x-24-color.jpg
I thought the Output Sensor would be the one but as I said the speedo reads with all three off or any combination of the sensors disconnected.(Shifting doesn't happen correctly or it is rough.)
I was able to disconnect all four wheel speed sensors and the speedo stopped reading (even with all trans sensors still connected.) I read somewhere that newer vehicles (this is a 2013) use wheel sensors in combination with trans sensors for better skid control and speedo readings seem to come from the wheel speed sensors (as I mentioned above even only one connector causes the speedo to read.)
I tried to measure the signal from the wheel sensor with a multimeter connected in various ways (across the two; and each lead to ground) to the two wires from the wheel sensor while the car was driven but did not get anything I could understand.
I tried DC volts, AC volts and Hz but nothing seemed proportional to speed.
Car stationery I get about 13 volts on one lead and 0.2v on the other when I measure to ground. One lead to the other is about 12.8volts.
I am not sure what type sensors are used in the wheel (Hall effect or what?)
Would you possible know where the speed signal enters the instrument cluster. ..color of wire; Plug or pin number? That might be an easier place to get to.
Thanks again.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2016 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
If you just need an VSS INPUT for a radio then the GREEN/ Brown is what you need.
If not then what are you try8ng to do?
jantom 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2016 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jantom
No not primarily for radio. But we were playing with some custom/alternate gauges and readouts and wanted to be able to get the speed signal.
Do you know what color the wire enters the dash cluster is and where it enters?
That might be easier to get to.
Thanks.
jantom 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2016 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jantom
Also do you know what the signal looks like on that wire?
Does it vary in frequency as speed increases while the voltage stays steady?
Is is a square wave or an ac type sine wave?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic