the12volt.com spacer
icon

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Door Locks, Trunk Non-Op

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phrost-bite 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phrost-bite
2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
This morning I was wiring up some Blue LED's in the trunk. I wired up a relay off of the trunk lid light. It is a negative trigger switch. Everything appeared to be working fine and the LED's turned on/off as I opened/ closed the latch. As I was rewiring my amp/ capacitor I noticed the lights were dimming and could hear something trying to actuate. After deeper investigation I found that the locks and trunk switch in the car no longer work and the dash is indicating trunk/ doors are open. The key fob still functions. I've disconnected all the new connections I made and checked fuses with no luck. I think I fried the door lock module... Any Ideas? Did I need to diode isolate the trunk light? I hope a new module doesn't cost too much... I was saving up for some coilovers
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2016 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
You should never use sensing wire to ground items only use them to ground a relay coil for control.
phrost-bite 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2016 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phrost-bite
The sensing wire was not used to ground anything. The sensing wire was used to ground the relay (pin 86) like you have suggested. That is why I find this to be so strange because nothing is tied into that wire. I was only using that wire to control the relay.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
phrost-bite wrote:
The sensing wire was not used to ground anything. The sensing wire was used to ground the relay (pin 86) like you have suggested. That is why I find this to be so strange because nothing is tied into that wire. I was only using that wire to control the relay.
I usually use the positive and negative for the trunk light for relay control.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2016 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Yet once again, why a relay for LED lights? I've two X 15" multi LED tubes in the roof of my van, wired at the cargo area dome light, no relays never a problem.
As for your locks check the fuses by removing each,one at a time and use your DMM continuity tester to test them.
If you persist in using a relay mount a 1N4004 diode band to + side of the coil which should be 86 not 85, band to 86,
That would have solved the problem, or rather prevented it from happening.
Out of interest try disconnecting the vehicle battery for 20 minutes.
That might reboot the lock module.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2016 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
He was trying to use the trunk trigger to ground the relay.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2016 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Which in theory should have worked except I just realised these wires I was using was a BCM OUTPUT from the module to the lamp, not direct switching!
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2016 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
There's a good chance he fried the module or BCM input depending on what the trigger for the trunk hooks to.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic