the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper smart start import

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chrisj000 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2016 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chrisj000
Maybe a stupid question but is it possible to import a viper smartstart unit from the US and get it activated for use in the UK or are they designed to work on different networks thanks in advance Chris
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2016 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
I've never seen a different model for any other region. As the Unit has to be programmed and configured at the dealer for use for each vehicle. Software will need to be flashed at time of install. All cellular radio banding is done thru specific firmware, not hardware any more. My Note 2 was the same hardware for Sprint and Verizon minus the integrated Sim, Micro SD daughter board. The rest was carrier specific firmware. And you can swap the Verizon sim board into a sprint note 2 and with the proper firmware mods use the sprint phone on Verizon with a Verizon sim card swap.
If there were any limitations it would be software based. The new xpresskit DBALL2 is shipped UN-programmed and needs to be flashed before it will work with any vehicle.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
It won't work in the UK, it needs a UK SIM card UK GSM is 1800, US 1900 though I don't think that part matters considering all the sub-frequencies. Sprint and Verizon use the CDMA system, the rest of the world uses GSM with SIMS.
I have a spare UK Smartstart.
chrisj000 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chrisj000
How much is a uk smart start howie the ones I've found are to expensive for my pocket and only considered one after seeing cheap in the US on ebay,thanks for your help on my other problem all sorted now
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
How much do you want to pay?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
The UK trade price is £189 + VAT = £226.80.
We can work back from there!
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2016 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Did some digging around and there are 2 different Smart Start models the dSM250 for North America , and a DSM250i (international) for every where else like the UK, GR, AU, and the such.
The Hardware is identical but the loaded firmware is different to support the international wireless standards just like a international phone. The only hurdle I can see by buying the dsm250i off ebay will be if Directed tracks the point of distribution at the time of activation to any given location or not that would keep you from activating it in a country that it wasn't distributed too. If your willing to take the risk of not being able to activate it, too save a few dollars that's on you. Otherwise take howie II up on his offer.
chrisj000 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2016 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chrisj000
I took howie up on his offer,great guy to deal with,I bought a years subscription yesterday and is working great
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2016 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Nice
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Mark Mizenko
Hell of a guy I always said!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic