the12volt.com spacer
icon

BMW 556uw bypass wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
malevolent 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote malevolent
I need sleep it's 4am. I'm not sure, but is the relay suppose to be engaged even when the car is off? I'll check the wiring tomorrow. Key turns the car on with no issues. Key around or in the key cylinder is not making a difference to answer your question.
Your awesome, I would have never gotten this far.
I'll post back tomorrow...err today after work on my progress
Thank you so much
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
You haven't said if you changed the GTS setting for IGN2 to enabled or not just making sure it didn't get missed, easy to forget things when you tired. I know I do!
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
malevolent wrote:
I need sleep it's 4am. I'm not sure, but is the relay suppose to be engaged even when the car is off? I'll check the wiring tomorrow. Key turns the car on with no issues. Key around or in the key cylinder is not making a difference to answer your question.
Your awesome, I would have never gotten this far.
I'll post back tomorrow...err today after work on my progress
Thank you so much
C3/13 White to 85 of relay should only be grounded when GTS is on.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
By -pass doesn't need to be kept running once engine has fired.
Do you need to hold the foot brake down to start?
If so you break the secondary circuit, brown in BROWN / grey out relay fed from a second starter wire.
That's how the Euro version with paddle shifts work.
Light green is the primary, i.e. ignition 1 but purple wire at ignition is actually ACC but is used in starting.
Obtain and use a grey plastic VALET key from a BMW dealer use that in the 556, it will eliminate a host of problems apart from being about $40 here in the UK, much cheaper than using the $200+ OEM key.
Done literally 100s of R/Starts on these with no problems and BTW you should have two constants both red primary at the ignition switch loom, use both if you can to share the load.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Yes @howie II the Gallo Tech GTS3 PUSH-to-START Needs both (+) input footbrake and also needs (-) input from clutch to activate the PTS.
The GTS 3 has defualt (Disabled) setting of IGN2 (-)output external relay control act as ACC, or Enabled act like IGN1.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Manual or auto?
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
He has a manual.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Manual transmissions for Europe are as rare as rocking horse droppings and never had a clutch switch so disregard what I said about the brake switch.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2016 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
PTS on a manual trans 2003 BMW 330xi, it can be done but there are a few hurdles to get over as it's not a common project.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2016 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
A couple of things to go over!
Split the load between the 2 Feed wires!
GTS RED to vehicle RED / Green
IGN2 relay 87 to vehicle RED / Blue
Things to verify!
1. Do the Ignition Green and Starter BLACK/ Blue come on is "ACC" and stay on in the "ON" and "CRANK" positions with the key?
If not then list what each dose in each position.
2. Check to see if the GTS "IGN2" relay comes on in the PTS "ACC" position. We need to match what the key does with the PTS.
If the PTS "ACC" turns on the IGN2 relay and the key in "ACC" turns them both on, then we need to modify the IGN2 relay connections by powering the relay 86 from the IGN1 wire. So the relay turns on at the same time as the IGN1 does. Matching the key switch.
3. Verify GTS FUNCTION OPTION CHART for Manual Trans mode and IGN2 to "Enabled" (Ignition 2 ON during Engine start)
Once the PTS matches the key functions and the PTS Starter cranks the Engine when the brake and clutch is pressed, then if still no engine start(RUN) that leaves the bypass to sort out.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic