the12volt.com spacer
icon

Eonon monitor keeps cutting out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phantome46 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2016 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phantome46
I have 2 Eonon monitors in my project car which were working perfectly. I had not used the car for a while and then recently got the car out and switched all of the monitors on to run everything.
Something strange starts happening. the monitor turns on and runs normally for a few minutes and then turns off. You can press the power button and it switches on again but then goes off again more quickly.
I have removed the monitor and taken the back off to blow the circuits to check for dust etc. and nothing obvious wrong.
Anyone had something similar and maybe any idea what could be the issue and if it can be repaired?
Thanks
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2016 at 4:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Most common cause of this in electronics in my experience is bad Capacitor(s)in the Power circuit getting hot and creating a direct short.
Here's some info about it and what to look for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
http://badcaps.net/
Just like most Wall warts (AC to DC) power packs that use a transformer here in the US are required to have a thermal fuse installed and the thermal fuses fail over time.
phantome46 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2016 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phantome46
are they easy to fix or is the screen destroyed?
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2016 at 5:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Fairly easy if you have some soldering experience on pcb's. There are YouTube videos galore an soldering and de-soldering. For this task I find different size safety pins handy for opening the hole up while the solder is still hot as the solder won't stick to the safety pin to well and makes putting the new one is a piece of cake. Just don't heat in place for to long work back an forth on each leg of the cap if it looks bad and needs replacing.
phantome46 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2016 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phantome46
lurch228 wrote:
Fairly easy if you have some soldering experience on pcb's. There are YouTube videos galore an soldering and de-soldering. For this task I find different size safety pins handy for opening the hole up while the solder is still hot as the solder won't stick to the safety pin to well and makes putting the new one is a piece of cake. Just don't heat in place for to long work back an forth on each leg of the cap if it looks bad and needs replacing.
can you test them before replacing or is it just a do it and see job?
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Check the links for the pics of what to look for visually. It's a cheap fix if it's the CAP's.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic