the12volt.com spacer
icon

Relay, two LED's, two momentary switches

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sjsperdute 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2016 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sjsperdute
I'm looking for a relay set up where I have 2 leds, red and green and 2 momentary switches. I would like to be able to push 1 switch, turns on the green led,also turns off red led. Push the other switch, turns on red, turns off green.
Not sure if I need a latching relay set up for both set of leds
I have limited experience with relays but have a general idea
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2016 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Depends on if you want 1 to be always on or not?
sjsperdute 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2016 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sjsperdute
Yes, one of the two LEDs would always be on
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2016 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
With one relay you would connect 87a LED1, and 87 LED2 and (86 thru 1ohm resistor) , 30 12v, 85 ground thru 10 ohm resistor. Momentary 2 12v and 86, Momentary 1 12v and 85.
Momentary 2 latches relay to led 2, and Momentary 1 to Bias relay coil causing it to drop out (Reset)
sjsperdute 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2016 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sjsperdute
Any way you could produce a diagram, I'm having a hard time following what your describing
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2016 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
You will need to add the proper resistors for the leds that you have to reduce the 12v to the required voltage.Relay, two LED's, two momentary switches - Last Post -- posted image.
sjsperdute 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sjsperdute
Thanks this worked the way I wanted to and you described.
My only problem is I'm using this along with 2 other relays that control a small motor to change its direction. The way it's set up, the relays are both hot, and the switches break the relays to activate the motor. That being said my switches alway have current, and when pressed, they drop voltage.
Is there a way to change this set up to have negative activation
Thanks
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2016 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
The diagram I gave you is using pull up on ground to reset latch.
So if you make all the reds negative and the ground positive it should still work the same but it will be using pull down to pull positive down instead to reset the latch. So LEd's will need to be rewired and positive and negative swapped.
Never done it this way with ground before. If it doesn't work then you will need to swap the resistors.
Let me know which way it works?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic