the12volt.com spacer
icon

4-pin electronic relay for LED

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
objecttothis 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum but not new to cars. I am an American living in a former Soviet country and I have a 1998 Vaz Niva. I am replacing the turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs and as such I will need to find an electronic relay. I would prefer not going the route of load resistors because it eliminates half the reason for the LEDs and that being reduced load on the system.
The Niva has a 4-pin relay that controls both the hazard blinking and the turn signal blinking (see #8 in the diagram below). Here is my understanding of the pinout below. What I need is an electronic relay that will give me the same functionality with my LED bulbs without blinking fast.
Pin     Color  Description
1     Brown (+12v) 4 on Hazard switch
2     Blue/Red     (+12v) 7 on Hazard switch and 4 on direction indicator switch
3     Blue/White     5 on direction indicator light on instrument cluster
4     Black Ground
Note: the instrument cluster light is one light that blinks regardless of which direction the turn signal lever is pulled.
4-pin electronic relay for LED -- posted image.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2016 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
An EP29 is a 4 prong flasher that can be used for LED's.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2016 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
Yeah, I was looking at the EP29. The wiring diagram shows that it can be used as a flasher relay or a hazard relay but does not appear to be usable as both like the stock relay is. Am I seeing that correctly? If not how would I wire it so that it mimics the stock functionality?
I was looking at the relay off european models of honda CBR and other models because it appears they are 4 pin instead of the 2 pin of their US versions and i was reading that its because the euro versions have hazard lights and the US ones dont. I cant find a wiring diagram of the relay to confirm though.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2016 at 3:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
No 9, not 8 is the relay if that helps.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2016 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
I'm confused. Yes, 8 (in the diagram) is the relay. That relay however has an input from the hazard switch (9) AND from the turn signal selector switch (10) which, if I understand the wiring diagram of the EP29 relay, I can give it either or, but not both.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2016 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Sorry you're quite correct.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2016 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Try the EF26 which is a Combination TS & Hazard.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
Is the EF26 the same as the EP26? I cant seem to find an EF26 for LEDs or a wiring diagram. I do see that both EF and EP models are combo hazard and turn flasher relay but i need to make sure the pinout is the same as the stock. It takes 3-4weeks to get thinks here and id hate to waste time and money on a flasher that doesnt work if I can find out before by looking at the flasher schematic.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 4:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
OK, I got tired of not having some hands-on knowledge of what was going on so I got the multi-meter out and did some testing. Here is what I found:
Pin     Color  Description
1     Brown (+12v) ignition
2     Blue/Red     (+12v) pulse 7 to Hazard switch and 4 on direction indicator switch
3     Blue/White     (+12v) pulse to direction indicator light on instrument cluster
4     Black Ground
OK, so my question is this. Pins 2 and 3 seem redundant. Since I'm replacing my dash bulbs as well with LED's couldn't I just get a 3-pin relay like the CF13JL-02 and wire pins 2 and 3 to the load pin? The total load on the relay will be minimal since everything is LED, so there shouldn't be any worry about overloading. Or am I missing something and need a 4 pin with 2 load pins like I have now.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 5:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
@geepherder recommended the EP29 which is a 4 prong relay and I didn't think it would work but part of it is that I don't completely understand the pinout.
EP29 details
Does the "sense" output also pulse a 12v+ when the relay is activated? I can't get an explanation about it, so I thought I'd ask here. If so it's exactly the same thing as what I have.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic