the12volt.com spacer
icon

4-pin electronic relay for LED

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
objecttothis 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
Thanks for the schema. Unless I am reading it wrong, sense wouldn't work for the second load, so I'm better off going with a three prong relay if I go that route.
Another route that I've noticed people are taking is "cutting" the track to the IC on the relay which senses a burned out bulb, so that it does not do a fast blink. Anyone want to take a stab at helping me figure out which track I should cut? I've included pictures of both sides of the relay. Alternately if you told me what to test and look for with the multimeter to find the correct track to cut that would work too.
4-pin electronic relay for LED - Page 2 -- posted image.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
I did some more testing of the IC on that board since I can't find a pinout of it. Here are the results with no load and then with fast flash. I used stable and unstable to indicate whether or not the voltage was jumping around. Basically if I can figure out which pin is responsible for sensing a burned out bulb then I can cut the associated track.
1 12v     10v unstable
2 0v     257mV unstable
3 12v     12v stable
4 6v     10v unstable
5 12v      10v unstable
6 0v     12v oscillating
7 12v     12v stable
8 0.745v 1v unstable
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Led flashers will blink at a steady rate even with a burnt out bulb typically.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
Steady rate, yes. Too fast though. Thats because the IC on the relay measures current drop to detect a bulb burnout and then blibks fast if there is a burnout. In the case of LEDs they draw so little, that circuit is triggered, so thats why i need to find an LED compatible replacement or cut the track on the cicuit board that senses the voltage drop.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2016 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
@lurch228 Sorry you said LED flasher. I dont have an led flasher. The point of this post is to either find a compatible led flasher or modify my current flasher to get rid of the hyperflash.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2016 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Which is what I posted above, the EF29L is a LED Compatible flasher.
objecttothis 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2016 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote objecttothis
@lurch228
The EF29L has 4 prongs
Battery
Ground
Load
Sense
The stock relay has 4 prongs
Battery
Ground
Load (lights)
Load (single dash light)
I might be totally off in my understanding of the wiring diagram of the EF29L but it appears to me that Sense receives a 12v+ signal, not outputting a 12v+ pulse, so you see why the EF29L (or EP29) won't work?
At this point unless I can find a 4 prong with the same configuration, I will need to switch to a 3 prong (CF13, CF14, EP35, EP36) and just wire 2 and 3 together. The other option is disabling the burnout sensor of my current relay by cutting the track leading to that prong on the IC that senses a drop in current.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2016 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I'll take the blame for suggesting the EP29. I just noticed it had 4 terminals and said it was LED compatible. I didn't look into the wiring, etc.
You're probably on the right track with a 3 terminal flasher. When I rewired my turn signals, I used either an EP34 or EP35 (don't remember which). The nice thing is, these plug right into a standard H4/9003 headlight bulb harness (pick up at the local auto parts store), giving you a ready-made pigtail. Or, you can even use a standard relay harness, if you want.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Try this one Which states: Part # AF-01, Bosch 4 pin replacement has extra “KBL” connection for dash indicator.
Adjustable Flasher P/N AF-01
You might want to research this Link: Bosch 4 Pin relay info
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic