the12volt.com spacer
icon

What fuse size?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kulblue 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2016 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kulblue
I will be running a 0 gauge from my battery to a fused distribution block then 3 outputs of 4 gauge to each of my amps plus compressor (RF R400x4D 4ch, RF R500x1D mono and 2 Compressor)
Each amp has 40 amp fuse and the other one has 50 amp fuse
Now i dont know which fuse size should i get to protect my two amps running from one power wire ????
Any help thanks !
infinity99 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2016 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote infinity99
120A-150A should be fine. If you get a spike or heavy draw, then whats the worst that could happen, blow it? If 150A is too small, then I would go 200 MAX! I would rather blow a fuse before my amps than at my amps.
Are you running a second alternator/battery? If not, then unless you have a high output alternator, you will never see anything above 160 amps drawn.
kulblue 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2016 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kulblue
Thanks for replied.
I have yellow top optima battery and did the big 3 upgrade.
I still need to add fuse in the distribution block too? If so, what fuse size?
infinity99 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2016 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote infinity99
You have a fused distro block? Then YES, add one BEFORE the distro block, then one on the distro block, reason for this is, you get a current spike off the alt/batt (bass hit), then your first fuse blows. BUT! Fuses do NOT always blow instantly because they take a split second to melt, so I would fuse just after the battery on the main line, AND at the distro block. Its like double insurance. Keep the fuses the same amperage though. Start at 150 and move up from there. I think 150 amp fuses should be fine.
infinity99 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2016 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote infinity99
Its simple math, you have 2 amps that can potentially draw 40 amps, and one that can potentially draw 50 amps. Total 130 amps MAX if all amps are PEAKED at the same time which almost NEVER happens. Add the 3 together, and add 10% basically for over voltage/current spikes. Easy as pie!
kulblue 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2016 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kulblue
Newbie for sound system lol... Thanks!
I will adding 120amp fuse each line in the distribution block, right?
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2016 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Power fuses are meant to protect the wire to the component(s) and not the component(s). You can safely use up to a 350 amp fuse inline at the battery on 0 gauge wire, then fuse according from your distribution block to each amplifier.
https://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp
What fuse size? - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
kulblue 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2016 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kulblue
Means I can do 250/350 amp fuse and the fused distribution block are 40/50 amp fuse for each amp ?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic