the12volt.com spacer
icon

4105v on 2005 ford diesel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bcarriveau 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2016 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bcarriveau
Unit itself works minus the tach part. Tried factory wire, no go. So I purchased the directed tach generator. That also is hooked up correctly and seems to work. There are times randomly it cranks for .2 seconds and stops, thinks it's running. . It does this almost every time the first try if it's been sitting a while, usally a few hours will do it. It will almost 100% of the time start if I cancle it and try again.
Any thoughts.
Out of ideas. Tried different tach wires on the unit on alternator. Tried rausing the rpms to set it higher so it looks for more rpms..
Wait to start is 15 sec, 4 sec crank. Tach input selected.
It always failing the first try is why I'm confused
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2016 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
A coworker of mine has an old Ford diesel with a Viper remote start. At first we thought it wasn't working, but we sat and waited. His is set for 45 second delay (and probably with engine checking defeated, max crank time, etc.).
Something else I've read about is opening the alternator and connecting to any one of the three legs before the rectifier bridge.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2016 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
If you select "tach" for engine checking, it ignores the crank time.
I have a 99 7.3 with an older dei remote start installed in 2008. Mine does exactly the same thing as yours if it hasn't run for a few days. The first attempt cranks about 1 second. The next attempt cranks until it starts, sometimes 5-7 seconds. If its been run in the past few days, it usually starts on the first attempt. But always on the second. I use engine checking = yes, tachometer (I used the wht/pnk tach wire), and WTS light input (blk/pnk wire).
There's a thread on here from a couple years ago where I asked about this behavior, but it got no replies.
If it will learn the tach, it should work. Sounds like it does. You'll probably have to learn to live with the first attempt failure, unless someone has figured this out, but I doubt it. At least I know mine is not an anomaly. Someone else's powerstroke does this too.
bcarriveau 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2016 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bcarriveau
yeah, its frustration.
Does anyone know if the Diesel Start Type has anything to do with it. Looks like it cannot be changed without a Bitwriter?
4105v on 2005 ford diesel -- posted image.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2016 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I saw in another thread while browsing that there is a bundle of 5 wires on the firewall behind the brake pedal. One of them is wht/grn, and is a tach signal.
mr_haggin84 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2016 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mr_haggin84
davep. wrote:
I saw in another thread while browsing that there is a bundle of 5 wires on the firewall behind the brake pedal. One of them is wht/grn, and is a tach signal.
I've seen this to in some of the write ups or maybe it was a forum post. I took apart my dash and removed my cluster last night. I might take a second look for that wht/grn wire before cutting into my cluster harness. Especially if the wht/pnk wire causes issues.
Here to learn and maybe someday teach.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic