the12volt.com spacer
icon

keyless entry issues, 1993 Chevy Silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rusty_james 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rusty_james
Hello people!! I'm having some keyless entry installation issues. I have a 1993 Chevy Silverado extended cab 4 wheel drive. I bought a Clifford remote start and keyless entry system. I got the remote start fully installed and working, no problem. Then it came to the keyless entry install, and I've ran into problems.
The Clifford control module has 2 wires, lock and unlock. I plugged it straight to my door lock wires (my fault for not doing more research) and come to find out my truck uses 5 wire polarity. I've never done anything with relays, but I decided to take on the job. I looked up wiring diagrams on this website, and wired everything up. The 2 wires fr the Clifford control module are both negative, and after looking at the wiring diagrams on my truck, my dad told me I needed to wire the two 5 pin relays with the "negative trigger" or where I wire each relay with 1 ground, and with 2 12 volt sources.
At first I did it the easy way and put an add a fuse with a 20amp fuse and jumped that 1 wire to both 12 volts sources on both relays. I then jumped 1 wire from ground to each ground source on both relays. I then wired the correct pin to the door lock and unlock switches. Before attaching the wires from the Clifford control module to the relays, I used a test light, the kind with 1 hound connection. I hooked up the ground and tested both pins on each relay. Interestingly, the test light lit up, but the door locks didn't trigger like they should have......
My dad suggested I divide up the 12v sources.....
So HERE IS THE NEW ISSUE
I wired 2 of the 12v sources to the 20amp add a fuse, and the other 2 12v sources to the battery with an inline fuse with a 20amp fuse. I hooked up the Clifford control module wires and let it rip. I clicked the lock button on my key and I heard both door lock motors click as if trying, but they only went a little bit down (not enough to lock) and quickly following this the 20amp fuse broke in the online fuse to the battery. I replaced it with a 30amp fuse.... same thing. Every time I replace the fuse and try it, you can clearly hear the door locks trying to work quickly followed by the 30 amp online fuse blowing....
not sure where to go from here.... It's strange to me that the door locks try to work then the fuse blows.... I don't know if I should try a bigger fuse, should I divide the 12v sources differently, maybe divide the 2 grounds to different ground spots, I don't know. I should mention the add a fuse never blew.
Any suggestions are welcome and very much so appreciated!!!! I'm sure I've left some things out, so if you have questions please ask I'll provide the best info I can!!
Thank you guys so much for reading!!
Heavy Chevy
rusty_james 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rusty_james
Oh I forgot to mention this. I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not, but my door lock doesn't work from the inside switch in the drivers side. The lock/unlock switch on the passenger side is fine. The passenger lock/unlock switch works perfect but the drivers side doesnt. I took the connector off it and it looks like the contacts are blackish like they got burned out or something. I'm going to be replacing that very soon but there's no way that could be cause my keyless entry to blow a fuse?
Not sure if this info matters that much, but decided it's best to let you guys know.
Thanks again!!
Heavy Chevy
rusty_james 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2016 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rusty_james
OK nevermind everyone!! I disconnected the switch and my keyless entry is cherry works perfectly!! I guess the switch was shorting everything out.
Funny how when your working on your car it can be the simplest things!!!!!
Thanks for reading
Heavy Chevy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic