the12volt.com spacer
icon

Installing Viper 4105 into 97 Lumina

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lbrowne 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2016 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lbrowne
I found this post with lots of useful information: Archved link
Can anyone recommend a bypass module for me? Should I get an Xpresskit Pljx Gm Passlock Bypass module?
Looking for recommendations, would rather a module than hardwiring stuff. I can install stereos but never done a remote starter and bypass. Thanks in advance.
I change cars too often to put one here.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2016 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
If you are doing just a Remote Starter with Keyless Entry ( no alarm ), you will need a few extra items for the install.
The Lumina is a older vehicle and has Type A door locks and a (+) Trunk release. Most current R/S systems only output
(-) pulses for the locks and trunk release. There are no "full featured" bypass modules available for your car. I
would recommend getting a Directed 451M door lock module to handle the locks and a 30/40 Amp SPDT relay with harness
and an in-line fuse holder for the trunk release. Last but not least is the VATS bypass. While there are some good
bypass modules out there, have you had any issues with the ignition cylinder yet? Very common issue and usually quite
expensive if the dealer replaces it. If you aren't concerned with possible vehicle theft you could just do a permanent
bypass on it with a Directed 652T resistor pack. Very simple and reliable.
Once you decide on the R/S system and VATS bypass method, forum members can provide and / or help with the actual wiring.
Soldering is fun!
lbrowne 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2016 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lbrowne
kreg357 wrote:
If you are doing just a Remote Starter with Keyless Entry ( no alarm ), you will need a few extra items for the install.
The Lumina is a older vehicle and has Type A door locks and a (+) Trunk release. Most current R/S systems only output
(-) pulses for the locks and trunk release. There are no "full featured" bypass modules available for your car. I
would recommend getting a Directed 451M door lock module to handle the locks and a 30/40 Amp SPDT relay with harness
and an in-line fuse holder for the trunk release. Last but not least is the VATS bypass. While there are some good
bypass modules out there, have you had any issues with the ignition cylinder yet? Very common issue and usually quite
expensive if the dealer replaces it. If you aren't concerned with possible vehicle theft you could just do a permanent
bypass on it with a Directed 652T resistor pack. Very simple and reliable.
Once you decide on the R/S system and VATS bypass method, forum members can provide and / or help with the actual wiring.
So the R/S is the Viper 4105.
I'll order the Directed 451M right away to have at the ready.
Had no issues with with the ignition yet, but it's a low mileage older car - probably why we haven't experienced it yet. If the Directed 652T is the best way to go for bypass I'll get it, or whichever other module you can recommend. Ease of installation preferred.
I change cars too often to put one here.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2016 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Not sure of your cost objectives. The least expensive is just the 652T resistor pack and a complete VATS bypass.
The next least expensive is the a R/S controlled bypass using a relay and the resistor. Here is a link to that
wiring setup : https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=237   The resistors come in the 652T pack and the
AUX connection on Relay Pin 85 can be (-) Status Output from the Viper. This will leave the VATS system intact /
operational while also allowing remote start ups.
Next would be an ADS TBSL PL bypass module. The connections are shown in its' install guide. Fairly simple install
and very reliable module. More info here : http://www.idatalink.com/support   Look up you car and then download the
ADS TBSL PL install guide. Cost is about $30.
I'm not a big fan of DEI bypass modules like the PLJX, but they are another option.
All of the choices require some wiring, there are no plug and play choices for your Lumina.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic