the12volt.com spacer
icon

2002 ford focus keyless entry install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bozb41 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2016 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bozb41
Please provide all the info you can that I would need to install a BigHawk Keyless Entry M608 System. I tried and failed so far. But, I have not given up yet. I found several wiring diagrams that came up on the web that I thought would be helpful. Turns out I was wrong. The colors from what I found do not match actual colors under the driver kick panel. I found what I believe to be a trigger wire to the driver door and a trigger wire to the passenger door. I was not sure what to do with those. I probed around and was able to find a wire that showed 0 volts but then 12 volts when lock was pressed and another wire close to it that showed 0 volts resting and 12 volts when the unlock was pressed. Those wires ran back toward the back door and I'm assuming those deliver power to the back door lock actuator. I'm not really sure where to start. I am an electrician but have never done much with cars. Mostly industrial wiring. I'm not really sure where to start. I've researched and found the words "positive trigger", "negative trigger" and "Reverse polarity, positive triggered". I've found the wires I need to get to are either in the driver kick, passenger kick, in the driver door, or in the passenger side behind the glove box. Also, I tried finding schematics for a 2002 Ford Focus and they are not readily available on the internet nor are they listed in the database on this site. Any and all help would be welcome. Thank you very much!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2016 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
ing 2     THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH ONE OR MORE AIR BAGS
Power Connections
     Wire Color     Polarity     Location     Plug/Pin #     Note     Picture
Battery     RED     (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS   
Ignition 1     GREEN/ YELLOW     (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS   
Starter 1     GRAY/BLACK     (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS   
Triggers
All Doors     BLACK/ BLUE     (-)     IN HARNESS IN DRIVERS KICKPANEL   
Trunk/Hatch     BLACK/ BLUE     (+)     IN HARNESS IN DRIVERS KICKPANEL   
Lighting
All Parking Lights     ORANGE / YELLOW     (+)     AT VEHICLE LIGHT SWITCH   
Low Beam Headlights     ORANGE / YELLOW     (+)     AT VEHICLE LIGHT SWITCH   
Brake Lights     GREEN/ RED     (+)     AT SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL   
Reverse Lights     GREEN/ BLACK     (+)     IN HARNESS IN DRIVERS KICKPANEL MAY ALSO BE GREEN/ YELLOW     
Integration
Power Lock     BLACK/ RED     (-)     IN HARNESS IN DRIVERS KICKPANEL   
Power Unlock     BLACK / YELLOW     (-)     IN HARNESS IN DRIVERS KICKPANEL   
Trunk Release     BLACK / YELLOW     (-)     IN HARNESS IN DRIVERS KICKPANEL   
Factory Alarm Arm     BLACK/ BLUE AT ANTI THEFT MOD   
Factory Alarm Disarm     BLACK/ WHITE     (-)     AT ANTI THEFT MOD     
bozb41 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bozb41
Thanks for the reply I am an idiot. I guess I'm not sure what wires to hook up it looks like there is a black with a blue stripe that goes to all doors I'm not sure what that wire does. And then below it looks like there is a black with red and a black with yellow stripe. Also would you say the door locks require a negative trigger? This Keyless module is made where you can connect positive trigger or negative trigger.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2016 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Gotta love those directions loosely translated from Chinese...
Orange wire  not used
White wire to BLACK/ RED     (-)     IN HARNESS IN DRIVERS KICKPANEL
Yellow wire  to Chassis Ground
ORANGE / Black wire     not used
WHITE/ Black wire      to BLACK / YELLOW     (-)     IN HARNESS IN DRIVERS KICKPANEL
Yellow/Black to Chassis Ground
Soldering is fun!
bozb41 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2016 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bozb41
Thanks Kreg357! So you are saying don't connect anything to the trigger wires and go straight for the BLACK/ red, BLACK / YELLOW which are lock and unlock. I found a BLACK/ blue and a BLACK / YELLOW running together in a harness low in the kick panel. Those are called driver door and passenger door trigger wires. I found a BLACK/ red, but it does not run with the other two wires I just mentioned. It is in a different harness. This is complicated b/c of the amount of information that is out there that is incorrect. From another site, they said all the wires I need to get to are actually on the passenger kick, specifically behind the glove box where the power lock module is located. But, it sounds like you are for pretty sure and from your profile it looks like you are very knowledgeable. So, I'll pull it apart and do what you have suggested.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2016 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Door Trigger wires are used for alarm systems and monitor if the door is open or closed. They turn on the dome light, etc. You want the power door lock wires that are used to actuate the door locks.
Use a Digital Multi Meter or computer safe LED test light to locate the wires. With a DMM, set it to 20V DC. Connect the Red test wire to +12V constant and use the Black test wire to probe the suspect wire. When the door lock button is pressed the DMM should go to +12V if you are on the right BLACK/ Red wire. Same routine for the BLACK / YELLOW Unlock wire.
Soldering is fun!
bozb41 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2016 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bozb41
Thanks again. I will do as you have said and I will let you know what I find out. I have a meter and I will hook it up like you indicated. I guess it will read +12 b/c you have +12 hooked up to the red lead and when the door lock/unlock is pushed, you complete a ground circuit. That makes sense. Also, thanks for clarifying what the trigger wires are for. That also makes sense b/c I was getting my wiring diagrams off of alarm installations websites.
bozb41 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2017 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bozb41
kreg357, I found out new information. I don't believe the wires are in the drivers kick panel. In the passenger side behind the glove box I found a module installed that says "contr.asy-R / Contr LK and ALRM system". I believe wires I need must be somewhere in one of these 5 harnesses. If you or someone else could give me any information on how to wire in this keyless entry module now that I found this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
2002 ford focus keyless entry install - Last Post -- posted image.
bozb41 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2017 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bozb41
Installed a aftermarket keyless on my sons car, (2002 Focus) thanks to some on this sight for helping me with that. Here's the deal. It works "sometimes". When it's working it works perfect. After a few hours it won't work anymore until we push the unlock button a dozen times or stick the key in the door and unlock it, then it starts working again. I believe the transmitter and receiver are fine. I'm going to double check but I believe I can hear the receiver fire the relay every time I push lock/unlock but the car locks don't move. Then it will suddenly start to work. Is there a possibility the car factory security is interfering with the aftermarket keyless? I'm sure it's wired correctly and I believe the grounding point is fine as well. Please help. Thanks.
rmotlyintrested 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2017 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rmotlyintrested
You could try searching "Gem module goes to sleep" on this site. The BCM (AKA Gem, I believe) sometimes goes to sleep after periods of inactivity. This could result in the symptoms you are experiencing. If you search you may find some possible solutions or work-arounds to this problem. Worth a look.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic