the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 160XV + 551T additional remote

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zzzap 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2017 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote zzzap
Ok this is a bit rambling, but I'll try to keep it short:
Vehicle is a 1998 Saturn SL. If I remember correctly, the car had a Viper alarm installed somewhere near when it was new. We added a remote start to it years later.
I peeked under the dash and found a Viper 160XV (alarm). There is also a Viper 551T (remote start module). I have no idea why the 551T was needed, since the 160XV has a remote start function...
There is a valet switch on the dash and a red LED on the dash, which as I recall, was from the Alarm install. I also found another programming button and a blue LED (both on wires, but not mounted) tucked up under the dash.
I currently have a Viper 474V remote (four button; Lock, Unlock, Aux, and Asterisk).
I believe I "learned" this remote to the system myself a while ago, but I can't prove it.
The alarm part is disabled (it doesn't arm when I close the doors or press the Lock button). However, When the battery is disconnected it does seem to go into a protect mode where the lights flash and the car can't be started. (The siren doesn't sound, but I think it's disconnected.) This only happens when I remove the battery for some reason (replacement) or when I bring the car to the mechanic. Usually I can get the alarm to disable by pressing unlock and/or fiddling with the valet button.
Pressing the Asterisk twice will remote-start the car. Also, pressing Lock and unlock at the same time will remote start the car.
Here's the issue; I would like to add another remote to the system. I purchased a new 474V remote. It came in an OEM box with Viper seals on it so I believe it's original (not aftermarket). The FCC ID, model number, and other text on the back is identical to the remote I currently have that works on the Saturn.
I attempted to teach the remote to the Viper alarm in the Saturn using the most common instructions I could find:
1. Open the drivers door
2. Turn key 2 clicks to the on position but do not start the car.
3. Under the dash locate the valet switch and press it one time
4. Press and hold it again until the alarm makes noise
5. While holding the valet button press the lock or unlock button on the remote
6. Turn the key off and test the remote.
This didn't work. The siren or horn didn't make a noise (but then again, I think the siren is disconnected). Pressing the valet button does turn the red light in the dash on and off (as if I was turning the alarm or Valet mode on or off). Holding it down for 3, 5, 10, or more seconds doesn't do anything.
At this point, I went to my wife's car, which also has the exact same Viper 474V remote. I tried to 'learn' the remote to the car using the above procedure and it worked the first time. I only had to press the lock button, and all three functions on the new remote worked after that (button 1 locked, button 2 unlocked, button 3 doesn't do anything, and button 4 will do a remote start when pressed twice. Pressing Lock and Unlock at the same time also does a remote start).
So at this point I know the new remote works and has a good battery, since it's working fine on my wife's car.
I found other instructions that said to push the button three times because channel 1 was lock, channel 2 was unlock, and channel 3 was remote start. That didn't work either. The red light in the dash goes on, off, on, off (even though the 4th button push is a 'push and hold').
I tried using the 2nd button and the Blue LED light under the dash, but as I understand the 551T manual, pressing 3 times and then holding changes the run-time of the starter (see pages 25-27: http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/valet/N551T.pdf )
When I first did it, the blue LED flashed twice. I think I screwed with it enough times that now it flashes three times.
However, somewhere in all this, the Saturn did "sort of' pick up the new remote. Pressing the bottom right button on the new remote makes the Saturn lights flash twice. Pressing the lock button doesn't do anything. Pushing the unlock button doesn't do anything. Pushing the bottom right button doesn't do anything (unless you count my wife's car starting!). Pressing lock and unlock together doesn't do anything to the Saturn (again, it will start my wife's car if it's in range).
I've read the 160XV install guide 3 times ( http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/viper/N562V_07-05.pdf ). I've read the 551T manual twice. I can't see what I'm doing wrong.
The basic problem seems to be that the valet switch/Red LED doesn't seem to put the alarm into learning mode. However, I somehow managed to get some communication between the new remote and the 160XV.
Any advice?
Thank you
zzzap 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2017 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote zzzap
Oops, where it says "Subaru" above, it should say "Saturn"
***Admin Edit - Changed Subaru to Saturn***
zzzap 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2017 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote zzzap
Thanks, Moderator for fixing my typo!
kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2017 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kaezoo
The 160XV isn't an alarm at all--it's just a remote starter with keyless entry. It's very odd that the 551T was installed along with the 160XV. However, if the 160XV's relay outputs aren't connected to the vehicle ignition wires, it's possible that the system's ignition sense isn't working properly. In this case the 160XV wouldn't go into remote programming mode, because it wouldn't be able to detect when you have the key switched on.
Are you certain that the valet switch is connected to the 160XV module and not the 551T? Both have a valet switch port.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic