the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Wiring in rear defrost for new remote starter (resolved)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
awbooth 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. Great ideas and suggestions out there.
I recently installed a Crimestopper RS4-G5 Remote Starter on my 1995 Buick Lesabre. Everything works. The remote starter powers the following: starts the engine, runs the parking lights to confirm the car has started, beeps the horn 3 short times prior to starting to confirm the signal from the fob reached the starter computer, runs the heat blower as long as I manually leave the heat on and the heat blower speed manual switch on high. Also has a trunk release option that works.
So, here is my one and only concern/question/project:
How could I activate/wire in my rear defrost to come on when the remote starter starts the car? As it stands now, the remote starter starts the car, powers the parking lights, heater fan blower and engine of course. Here is my problem...
I leave the rear defrost on prior to shutting off the car. When starting the car with the remote starter the defrost is off, not on as I left it the night before.
Here's an important point you need to know. If I use my key to start the car, keeping in mind I left the rear defrost on the night before, the rear defrost is still off. Meaning regardless whether I use my key to start the car or use the remote starter fob to start the car the rear defrost light will not stay on even though I left it on the night before. It's important to note that once the vehicle is on with the key at normal operation the rear defrost works fine. The rear defrost is a single push button control for on and off.
So this is not a complaint about the remote starter, this is a question on how to wire the rear defrost to stay on while using the remote starter so the back window can defrost ice and snow. I do have a brand new relay not being used so I'm sure with some help i can figure it out. I can't find the correct wiring diagram for a 1995 Buick Lesabre showing the correct color/colors of wires feeding the rear defrost switch. THANKS SO MUCH for any and all help!
awb
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
You can use an aux output. If you don't have one available, you can get creative and use the negative lock signal.   You would connect the banded end of 2 diodes together and connect that end to the lock signal from the Crimestopper. The other end of the diodes will create 2 signals--connect one to your door locks and one to the momentary defrost signal. Anytime you press lock while the car is running, you will toggle the defrost signal. It won't hurt anything to toggle the defrost wire while the car is off, and when started, this allows you to control the defrost as desired.
Lectric Guy
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.crimestopper.com/cstech/library/security/security_systems/remote_start/rs1-7_g5fm_ins_rev_07-2014.pdf
I've attached the installation instructions to this reply.
I appreciate your response. I'm not sure what the aux output is or where I can tie into? Lock signal meaning the door lock signal? I know when the car remotely starts it locks the doors for theft purposes. I don't know what the monetary defrost signal means either..Sorry, I thought I was pretty handy but I'm not sure what a diode is etc... little embarrassed...Wiring in rear defrost for new remote starter (resolved) -- posted image.
awb
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
I suppose we can start from scratch. Where would I find a aux output? Not sure if there are two wires feeding the rear defrost switch. Again, here is a copy of my instructions/installation manual for the remote starter.
http://www.crimestopper.com/cstech/library/security/security_systems/remote_start/rs1-7_g5fm_ins_rev_07-2014.pdf
awb
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
ORANGE / white and orange can be programmed as Aux 2...
Lectric Guy
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
My guess is you viewed the link I sent, thanks for doing that. As it stands now I'm not using the 3 wire harness that contains a blue/orange, ORANGE / white and green. The other larger 12-pin harness only has orange available to use. With saying that I would have to use the orange wire from the 12 pin plug and the ORANGE / white from the three pin plug not plugged into the module as of now? Just wanted to clarify, since I have these two available wires, how would I wire the rear defrost to work? I'm assuming having these two available wires eliminates the idea of having to use diodes? Thanks
awb
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I was a bit short on my explanation.   I am not certain about the defrost signal in the Buick...you're describing a momentary button press. I would check the output of the switch with a voltmeter and see if it supplies a momentary ground or 12V signal when pressed. If it is a momentary ground, I would use the Aux 2 wire to directly connect to the switch output; If it is a 12V signal, I would use Aux 2 lead to control a relay to supply 12V when the Aux is pressed.
Post back with what you find.
Lectric Guy
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I will check and get back to you.
Once everything is determined and wired properly, will a separate button need to be pressed on the clicker fob to make the rear defrost work? I believe the fob only has lock, unlock, trunk and remote start buttons. Will the remote start button activate the rear defrost on its own?
I appreciate your patience with me, My questions could be quite annoying at times.
Wiring in rear defrost for new remote starter (resolved) -- posted image.
awb
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
No problem, I am sort of short on time today, so I am trying to get back to you as completely as possible. I'm not a Crimestopper guy, but it looks like Aux2 is activated by pressing trunk and unlock at the same time. You would need to press these buttons on your remote at the same time after remote starting the car.
Lectric Guy
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
wow, that sort of sucks! lol, wish there was a way to wire it so when I start the car it activates the rear defrost. Hopefully there is a way to wire it that way otherwise i might skip it all together.
Would there be a way to make the rear defrost work without having to hold two different buttons down?
awb
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic